Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Bullet Birds [1961-1963]

Bullet Birds [1961-1963] These Bullet Birds are definitely a collector's car, so why don't you show yours off in this forum or just ask members about them?

62 Wiper Problem

This is a discussion on 62 Wiper Problem within the Bullet Birds [1961-1963] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; The wipers on my 62 have always worked fairly well. Have not used them much in the past couple of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 208.184.69.124
Old 07-13-2015, 01:16 PM

microgeek_55 is on a distinguished road
62 Wiper Problem

The wipers on my 62 have always worked fairly well. Have not used them much in the past couple of years. Got caught in the rain the other day and tried to use them. They jumped just a little and would not function. When I got home I found the ends of the two wipers had gotten hooked together somehow. I unhooked them and they both went up about 2 inches on the windshield and now they won't function at all, and they also wont go back down to the normal "parked" position. I have a 62 shop manual that doesn't have one mention of the wiper system in it. So, I have two questions; does anyone have an idea what might be the problem with the wipers, and does anyone know where I can get a manual that covers the wiping system?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 132.3.61.81
Old 07-17-2015, 11:27 AM

waltreiss is on a distinguished road
Garage
If they are like the '63, they are powered by the power steering pump and fluid. I don't have the book with me to check, but might look under the power steering section in the shop manual to have a better understanding of the system...if they operate the same way.

Cheers,
Walt
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 68.104.34.168
Old 07-20-2015, 03:23 AM

waltreiss is on a distinguished road
Garage
Hey, I checked the 62 shop manual and I have to agree with you about there being almost no mention of the wipers. The supplement for 63 at least describes the power steering-driven wipers. The only reference I saw at all was about the fuse for the wiper motors. Good luck!
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 73.20.38.207
Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 AM

Garjus61 is on a distinguished road
My '61 has electric wipers with a cam on the motor shaft that pushes the rod that moves the wipers. The clip that holds the rod on flipped off and so did the rod making the wipers inoperable. So although the wipers didn't operate I could hear the motor turning. You can reach the motor through the speaker hole, but it's tight and the cam and rod has to be in just the right place. I got the clip back on and it stayed on for a while then came off again. I got a "new" clip and when I took the dash out to replace the pad was able to get the clip on more securely. It's stayed on since. Don't know if yours is configured like this one but good luck!