Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > "Bunkie Beak TBird" [1970-1971]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

"Bunkie Beak TBird" [1970-1971] A "Bunkie Beak" TBird of course is a fine automobile. So talk about yours here and ask some of the owners about their "Bunkie Beak" TBird

1970 HELP ME PLS!

This is a discussion on 1970 HELP ME PLS! within the "Bunkie Beak TBird" [1970-1971] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; My mother has a 1970 Thunderbird with suicide doors on it. While in the process of taking it out of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 63.178.90.8
Old 10-30-2001, 09:48 AM

ReSpAwNeD is on a distinguished road
Question 1970 HELP ME PLS!

My mother has a 1970 Thunderbird with suicide doors on it. While in the process of taking it out of storage and making it street legal again, my parents decided to have the outside roof of the car reupholstered. They purchased the original upholstry for a 1970 Thunderbird , to describe it.. it's white and looks kind of like a snake skin pattern. The name for it is believed to be Kayman or Cayman (SPL.?).

The body shop working on the car removed the top completely and ordered the new top. During shipping it was "diverted?" to New York City and "damaged" in shipping.. Not entirely sure which I believe, but the fact of the matter is that the particular top was the LAST in stock from the company we ordered from.. We now have, what was and always will be, a gorgeous Thunderbird with no roof cover. I've been searching online and can't find an upholstry shop that offers what we're looking for. My mother wants the original top or nothing at all. They paid the body shop $900 and took the car home naked... (and that was JUST for labor) , my parents got ripped off.. and my mom basically lost part of her "baby". Are there any of you T-Bird lovers out there who could help in guiding me to a possible upholstry website? or know of a T-bird parts car with a vinyl rooftop in excellent condition? Can ANYBODY help me? My family and I would appreciate it very much. We're not ready to put the old girl to rest just because she's left with out a top cover.. Please reply, thanks =]

Kristy
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.95.130.110
Old 03-02-2002, 09:26 AM

topsdown is on a distinguished road
Just joined the list and spotted your need for help on the vinyl top. Lincoln parts International "may" be able to assist in this matter. They are VERY expensive but have quality NOS and reproduction parts and even though they list there starting years for parts on T-Birds as 1972 they may just have what you need or know where you can locate it!
http://www.lincolnpartsintl.com/index.html

Hope this helps!
Member of the International Thunderbird Club #1917:
http://www.intl-tbirdclub.com/
ITC 1972-79 Thunderbird Technical Advisor
Member of the Upstate NY Thunderbird Club
http://community-2.webtv.net/tkneebis/upstatenytbirds/
2003 World Wide ALL Ford Car Show Calendar and National Ford Club/Registry Resource Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/kaholton/topsdown/shows/ford/fordshows.html