Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

57 padded dash

This is a discussion on 57 padded dash within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I'm not at that point yet, but a question about installing the padded dash. I have the dash out of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 67.3.131.254
Old 03-11-2003, 11:18 AM

kenham is on a distinguished road
Post 57 padded dash

I'm not at that point yet, but a question about installing the padded dash. I have the dash out of the car. The pad had been removed before I got the car. Is the best approach to put on the pad while the dash is out of the car or after it is installed?
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.198.60
Old 03-11-2003, 12:56 PM

nomadbird is on a distinguished road
By all means install the pad with the dash out of the car. For one thing, the black retainer strips at the windshield are very difficult to install with a right angle ratcheting screwdriver when the dash is installed.

Firmly support the dash, do some "dry fitting" of the pad prior to using adhesive, and you should end up with a first rate installation.

Tom
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 172.140.29.187
Old 03-30-2003, 08:27 AM

Brian is on a distinguished road
Follow-UP:

Where did you get your new pad, and how were you satisfied with fit and quality?

Any problems you noticed on installation?

I'm curious how hard it was to install the thin chrome strip that runs along the instrument cluster hood.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.198.60
Old 03-30-2003, 01:11 PM

Brian,

I used those crummy FOMOCO pads that were quite old. I have no experience with the currently available repro pads. I can tell you this much though; you could spot a repro pad from 10' in front of the car. They have (or had) a "puffy" appearance compared to the Ford item. I haven't noticed a currently available repro pad, so I can't say if their appearance has improved.

FOMOCO pad: Things to watch are: (1) alignment with glove box button hole, (2) alignment with courtesy light hole which may require enlargement of opening in metal dash to insure the light bezel is seated, (3) getting the wrap-around ends seated. The piece of tinsel around the instrument brow is a non-problem. After the pad is installed, trim the vinyl along the mounting holes for the strip, and install the trim strip.

If there are any quirks with the repro pad installation, someone else will have to respond.

Tom
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 172.130.217.181
Old 03-30-2003, 09:27 PM

I was assuming that only Repro pads are available, short of searching for NOS somewhat laboriously.

I'm wondering if there is one company out there making the pads for all the distributors, or if there are several manufacturers, and one may be better than the other.

Anyone out there familiar with Repro dash pads?

I've got some swatch samples coming from Larry's Tbirds out of california, hopefully this week.

Thanks Again for your insight Tom!
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 209.219.209.68
Old 03-31-2003, 04:22 PM

Ts & As is on a distinguished road
I have a repro pad from Larry's that I installed and it fit just fine with the exception of some force fitting on the outside corners where the pad wraps around the edge (by the door jambs).

When I was about to install my 57 dash pad I asked about gluing - got about 20 responses ... an even 50% said to glue and 50% not to use any glue. I chose the NO GLUE route since it was less for me to screw up and the installation came out perfectly. It has been on the dash and in the car for about 9 months now and has not moved at all.

Some tips - make sure the pad is heated in a warm garage or in the sun for a couple of days before you start. You DO NOT have to lossen the dash insert with the guages but remove the chrome trim around the "eyebrow" of the opening. I presume you already have the speaker grill, map lite, glovebox lock and the turned aluminum trim on the face of the dash by the radio and heater controller and the two small curved pieces on the outer edge.

Slide pad on dash - you must first adjust so the speaker grill opening, map light and the glove box lock are perfectly lined up before you cut anything. (I actuall stuck small fininshing nails in the 4 screw holes of the speaker grill once set to help hold in place) Once alligned make sure pad stretches over curved ends by winshield posts and pull gently to front to attach the retaining strips along the front edge. Take care not to pull to hard because the corners could tear. (Good job for two guys). Now secure the ends by the posts with the chrome trim pieces. Chech it again and again - the pad will walk during the fitting process - I guess that is where the glue would help maybe but not insurmountable by any means. Make sure all this time you have not realligned the speaker grill, map lite and lock. When all is set install the speaker grill, map light and lock. Now trim the eyebrow of the guage opening so it will form without folds around the under side - then re-install the chrome piece. Trim any excess with a SHARP exacto knife - not difficult ot do at all. Reinstall the turned aluminum face trim with the lower edge tabs of the pad behind them.

There you have it - NO GLUE - and it has no place to go. PS: the Trim and Sealer manual does call for glue I think. I'll check back in in a year and let you know how this method worked out.

Tom
57 Dusk Rose/Colonial White
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 216.144.36.66
Old 04-01-2003, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the insite!

I hadn't gotten around to the glue question yet, but it was coming.
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.198.60
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 PM

Brian,

If you want a genuine FOMOCO dash pad, and if you're an E-bay type person: check this out. There is a new Ford pad that is only bid up to $300 so far. The auction ends in ~ 14 hours. Coincidentally, there is another one starting at $399 put up by a dealer and ending next week.

Good Luck, Tom

EDIT: Sheesh! I forgot to put the Item Number in the post. It is 2410188236.

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: nomadbird ]
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 216.144.36.66
Old 01-19-2004, 12:58 PM

I'll check back in in a year and let you know how this method worked out

Well, Tom , how has the past year treated your dash installation?
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 184.79.189.115
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM
bluebird

ronp806 is on a distinguished road
dash bezel

Tom, you seem to know your business on 57 dashes. Is it possible to install nos dashpad without having dash out? How do you take ign. lock and blower bezels off? Do you know of a detailed how to article for dash replacement? Thanks, Ron P. (blue bird)