Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Dashboard removal instructions for a 57

This is a discussion on Dashboard removal instructions for a 57 within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Received this info from one of the previous members. See the attachments for details. Hope it helps: I've hesitated in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 184.146.31.114
Old 12-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Administrator

pwadm is on a distinguished road
Dashboard removal instructions for a 57

Received this info from one of the previous members. See the attachments for details. Hope it helps:

I've hesitated in responding because it has been a few years since doing this and I as afraid of leaving out something important. I don't know how far you are stripping down the car so let's assume you're only removing the dash.

(1) Always remove the top,seat, and steering column first
(2) Remove hardware at dash attaching the parking brake, hood release and windshield wiper switch. Disconnect speedo and tach cables.
(3) Remove ash tray tracks and radio.
(4) Remove heater control and disconnect heater blower wires.
(5) Disconnect left air cable under hood. Disconnect all wires under hood that are part of the 14401 harness. Remove harness clamp at firewall. Feed harness into car interior.
(6) Remove all bright trim from dash ends and windshield.
(7) Remove all dash/body attaching screws. I think there are ~ 5 or 7 along bottom of windshield. Remove the bolts that attach the dash to the "L" shaped brackets under the front of the dash near the front of the door opening. Do not remove the brackets from the cowl. Make sure you dont misplace the unique washers used at this attachment point. Remove courtesy light switches from hinge pillars.

(8) There are a couple wiring connections inside the car at the trans tunnel and coming off the steering column that we haven't mentioned, so just use common sense and logic and it should go smoothly.
(9) One person at each end of the dash should be able to remove the dash and Main harness fairly easy.

Lucky you! I see you live in Ohio. That is where we Baby Bird owners have one of our best suppliers and two of the most capable restoration shops specializing in '55-'57 T-Birds. Would like to answer your questions first.
(1) "L" brackets are left on the cowl to allow sliding the dash off and on. They will help accurately locate the dash at reassembly time. They were assembled on the car when it was originally painted.
(2) Wiper knob has a set screw located around 3 or 4 o'clock to secure it to a "D" shaped shaft. Same story on the heater blower switch.
(3) You can re-cover the dash yourself. I need to know your objectives before offering advise. It's a big ticket part that deserves respect.

While you've got the heater out, save yourself a big PITA later,(and freezing it off, since you live in Ohio), and order a new lever for the lower control on your heater during one of your other orders. It's made of spring steel, and everyone I've ever met said it breaks after a few years because it has to be forced up and over as you go from off to heat. Yeah, yeah, I thought, I've got enough CURRENTLY broken stuff that I can forego the stuff that MIGHT break...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf_spring_and_dashboard_removal.jpg (178.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg pic_1.jpg (103.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg pic_2.jpg (124.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg pic_3.jpg (96.0 KB, 142 views)
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.71.189.64
Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 PM

Moonframer is on a distinguished road
reassemble 1957 dash and cluster

Great help on pulling out the dashboard unit on my 57 bird. Has anyone written a step by step instruction on reassembly of the cluster and dash unit? I can reverse the steps in diss assembly but it's a bit confusing! Not an easy task for the best shop guys!! Thanks, Jim
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 24.126.110.188
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM

Castor120 is on a distinguished road
Wire in Steering Column Near Steering Box

pwadm,

Thanks for posting this comprehensive checklist for dash removal. Upon completion of step 1, I noticed what appears to be a wire sheath down the center of the steering column near the steering box that prevents me from removing the entire column as a unit. Did I miss something? I certainly don't want to pull it out until I know what it may be...

Any help before I proceed would be VERY helpful!

Castor120
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering column 1.JPG (92.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Steering column 2.JPG (95.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Steering column 3.JPG (129.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Castor120; 08-13-2017 at 09:56 PM.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 73.119.90.72
Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM

fordrodsteven is on a distinguished road
Garage
something else to consider while you have the dash out. Paint the underside of the dash white so that when it is back in the car it's much easier to see when you have to go under there. I don't know who to attribute this idea to (it might be one of the hints offered up at CTCI) but I was told by one of the guys at the Thunderbird club that many of them have done it (painted the underside of the dash white) when they had their cars apart.
1955 Tee-bird modified, 88 Reatta, MOPAR11 #735
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 24.126.110.188
Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Castor120 is on a distinguished road
GREAT Idea

Steve,

Thanks for the GREAT idea. As you say, it is awfully dark under there, and I have an old can of white paint already hanging around in the garage. It certainly cannot hurt to have a little more light on the subject...

Castor120