Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Need a procedure for setting up and adjusting door windows

This is a discussion on Need a procedure for setting up and adjusting door windows within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I am restoring a beautiful red 55. Having a great deal of trouble installing the passennger window in the door. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 66.242.169.19
Old 02-15-2004, 07:17 PM

David56 is on a distinguished road
Cool Need a procedure for setting up and adjusting door windows

I am restoring a beautiful red 55. Having a great deal of trouble installing the passennger window in the door. Is there a written procedure for adjusting the the various parts such as front pillar post, window regulator, scizzor lift assy? The binding that occurs as the window is cranked up and down is terrible.

Also, regarding the chrome trim piece that is glued to top and rear parts of the window glass itself, should the front of the chrome trim piece (closest to the cat whisker vertical guide track at the front of the window ) be in contact with the cat whisker channel? Should I trim off the front end of the chrome window trim piece so that it will not contact the cat whisker channel? Some of the binding must be occurring here.

It seems that the window lifting mechanism (scizzor assy) is not square with respect to the front pillar and cat whisker channel assy. How can I make it square so that the window will roll up and down without binding?

The previous owner of this car must have had a great deal of trouble with the window mechanisms in both doors, because you can tell that these doors have been worked on before. some parts are missing, such as the upper and lower stop brackets. The driver door even has a 3 inch stack of washers installed between the front pillar lower mount and it's mounting bracket located at the bottom of the door.

Any advice from the readers of this forum would be sincerely appreciated, especially any articles or other documentation that deals with setting up hand cranked windows in a '55 Thunderbird to work properly. Please help me. These doors are a mess!!

Thank You,

David Watkins
Sacramento, California
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 12.217.182.250
Old 02-17-2004, 08:14 AM
SC-Need I say more?

Birdman93 is on a distinguished road
David-

Contact the local chapter of the Classic Thunderbird Club International-there should be someone there who can help you.

Here's the web URL:

www.ctci.org