Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

color change

This is a discussion on color change within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Am doing a frame off stock restore on a 56 bird that is black with a red/white interior I am ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 208.210.87.220
Old 10-02-2003, 10:01 PM

JDM56 is on a distinguished road
Post color change

Am doing a frame off stock restore on a 56 bird that is black with a red/white interior
I am looking for any thoughts on change of color to peacock if it is done the way the factory would have originally built it. Properly done would it be concidered a travesty or kill value?

Thanks
John

[ 10-02-2003: Message edited by: JDM56 ]
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.198.60
Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 AM

nomadbird is on a distinguished road
John.

There is sure to be a wide range of opinions regarding your question. Rather than muddying the water with my own opinion, here is what you will face if you want to participate in serious Point Judging shows:

CTCI-- The car will have to be shown in Non-Original class to avoid point deductions.

AACA-- It doesn't make any difference as long as the color is proper for the era.

Probably the most irritating consequence is when the car is displayed anywhere with the hood raised; some one is sure to look at the data plate and indiscreetly announce: "HEY, THIS CAR WAS BLACK".

Consider buying a Data Plate from someone like A.G. Backeast with the altered codes for color and trim. There is nothing wrong with this practice as long as you aren't representing the car to be something more valuable than the original configuration.(i.e. attempting to claim a "D" Bird is an "F" Bird)
In your case, there is nothing unethical in what you have done and no one will be the wiser for it.

Tom D.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 208.0.180.98
Old 10-16-2003, 09:43 PM

JDM56 is on a distinguished road
Tom.

Thank You for a great answer to a very loaded question.