Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Help disassembling shifter

This is a discussion on Help disassembling shifter within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Does anyone know how to remove the knob from the end of the automatic shift lever? I've unscrewed it, but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 75.50.103.157
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM

tchristian is on a distinguished road
Help disassembling shifter

Does anyone know how to remove the knob from the end of the automatic shift lever? I've unscrewed it, but it's held on by the internal shift lock rod and I can't figure out how to get it loose. I've attached a photo to show you how far I've been able to disassemble it. Thanks.[IMG][/IMG]
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 75.136.228.80
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 PM

bms-3 is on a distinguished road
First, with a small slotted screwdriver remove the small set screw from the center of the chrome button on top of the shifter. Note how much the chrome button sits above the ball. Remove the chrome button by unscrewing it CCW. The button and a spring will come out. Then you can remove the ball by unscrewing it CCW from the shifter column.

To replace, do the reverse. After screwing the chrome button back in to its original location, install the set screw to lock It in place. Make sure you put the button back in the same amount as this adjusts the locking mechanism for the shifter column.