tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Early Birds [1955-1957] (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/early-birds-1955-1957/)
-   -   Disc Brake Conversion (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/early-birds-1955-1957/2802-disc-brake-conversion.html)

DreemKiller 10-22-2009 09:34 AM

Disc Brake Conversion

I've had a 56 for a long time, and am hoping to improve the stopping power. I am in the process of getting the power brakes fixed (it originally had them, but the booster hasn't been installed for at least the last 20 years), but am also thinking about converting the front brakes to discs (along with improving safety by switching to a dual cylinder master cylinder).
I was wondering if anyone had done this, and if they had any advice about the different kits that are available. Larry's and Concourse Parts have kits for about $950, and Casco has one for $1150 (or so). Does anyone know what the difference (if any) between the kits is? Price isn't the primary factor here, but I'd feel like an idiot for paying $200 more for the same thing.

jchand123 07-20-2010 10:05 PM

Don't get the one from CASCO. It is not a good quality conversion kit. It splits the system so that there is only power assist to the front disc. It also uses the old Midland booster which does not have enough boost for the front disc. It is not a good system. If you put this on you will have much more pedal effort than you would like and the stoping power is not good at all. The one from concours is the same kit minus the power booster. You probably won't be happy with it either.

I would contact ABSPowerbrake and checkout their kits. These people know what they are talking about and sell a good kit. You might try a hydroboost setup for the booster. It will mount in the same location a the old master cylinder and will provide sufficient boost for your system.

edmlynek 10-19-2012 08:24 PM

i did my 55 in 2003 to 4 wheel disc....the front discs were all bolt on..the kit comes with new spindles,rotors,calipers,hubs ...but no brake lines..i bought stainless brake lines.. but no one had lines for 4 wh. disc.so i bought stock drum brake lines and wound up not using half of it...my vender was stainless steel brake co...they gave the whole kit to me..with double master cly. and proportioning valve correct for 4 wh..and the rear calipers mounted nicely..the emergency brake cables even connected fine and worked!...i would recommend them to anyone doing this swap..i have 20+ photos of every step of this job that can be e-mailed to anyone thinking about doing this but would like to see how this is done before jumping in blind..ed mlynek

tbirdkidd 08-05-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmlynek (Post 13132)
i did my 55 in 2003 to 4 wheel disc....the front discs were all bolt on..the kit comes with new spindles,rotors,calipers,hubs ...but no brake lines..i bought stainless brake lines.. but no one had lines for 4 wh. disc.so i bought stock drum brake lines and wound up not using half of it...my vender was stainless steel brake co...they gave the whole kit to me..with double master cly. and proportioning valve correct for 4 wh..and the rear calipers mounted nicely..the emergency brake cables even connected fine and worked!...i would recommend them to anyone doing this swap..i have 20+ photos of every step of this job that can be e-mailed to anyone thinking about doing this but would like to see how this is done before jumping in blind..ed mlynek

Like to see the pics my email is bilbell19@gmail.com

Mal57bbybrd 03-23-2016 10:45 PM

Hi, I would love to see your pics too as I would like toi do the front brake disk upgrade to our 1957. Cheers Mal
My email is malcolm@sonatec.co.nz

tbirdkidd 03-27-2016 05:43 PM

Disc Brakes conversion

Here are some pics

fordrodsteven 04-07-2016 07:13 PM

disc brake conversion

I am looking at getting a conversion kit from Kanter. The conversion I am looking at will require that I move the battery because I want the power booster mounted on the firewall. You might consider it a bit pricey at $1200. It seems to me that everywhere else I have found conversions they are not a complete matched set. The Kanter conversion looks to be a complete set-up. Otherwise I would consider talking with a company (like Hill's Thunderbird Center) that has done more than a few conversions.
I'm still a long ways off at this time. I have just started dis-assembly of my car.

paul2748 04-07-2016 09:26 PM

Nothing against Kanter, but I would talk to the TBird suppliers first as they ar completely familiar with TBirds and someone like Hill's and CASCO actually do the conversions.

fordrodsteven 04-08-2016 11:06 AM

Point taken. I must add that I have had a few very good conversations with the technical people at Hill's. I had some questions about taking the body off the frame and they have been VERY helpful!

toms$$1956 05-27-2016 12:58 PM

I already purchased a 56 which has wildwood discs on the front but still only the original master cylinder. I would like to use a dual NON power. Can someone out there recommend a unit that will innerchange with the original with a minimum of issues. thanks Tom

paul2748 05-27-2016 11:30 PM

Call Wildwood and see what they recommend. For another source for this info try Engineered Components Inc (ECI) in Connecticut and see what they recommend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms$$1956 (Post 15298)
I already purchased a 56 which has wildwood discs on the front but still only the original master cylinder. I would like to use a dual NON power. Can someone out there recommend a unit that will innerchange with the original with a minimum of issues. thanks Tom

gregoryk7 06-25-2016 11:12 AM

Kits

I am getting the complete 4 wheel kit from auto city classic. Everything but the lines are included, even the flex lines. www.autocityclasic.com

Got a set of Torq wheels with cooper RWL for 1100 all included too.

toms$$1956 06-25-2016 02:14 PM

brake Info

Thanks guys for the information

thunderroze 06-15-2017 06:59 AM

Recently purchased a 57 and am interested in converting at least the front wheels to disc
- with as little other visible modifications as possible. Seems many of these conversion kits require the use of 15" wheels, and relocation of the battery to the trunk [neither are an option for me]. Car has factory power brakes. Any ideas on suppliers of kits that fit my parameters or other ideas? Master cylinder change from stock mandatory??

Also plan to replace all the front steering wear components (ball joints, tie rod ends etc) as long as its apart.

gregoryk7 06-15-2017 09:09 AM

Disk Brakes

I did all four, don't bother with just the front, do them all. You can keep the battery where it is. Do not get the booster that comes with it. You will also need a proportioning valve. It is a small hydraulic valve with a manually adjustable knob that will need to be set by experience. It will portion the front/back so they are uniform. The manual (no booster) brakes are great without the booster. Make sure that the push rod into the master cylinder is of proper length for the pedal too. WAY safer and better. I got my set at Auto City Classics for $865 and an anti-sway bar kit at Larry's for $469. I suggest you do them both. Larry also has the outside mirrors that are another major safety improvement. I am going to get a tint to the top of the windshield and side glass too.

gregoryk7 06-15-2017 09:17 AM

Rims & Tires

I also got rims and tires, mounted, balanced, with lug nuts, landed in for $1100 from Wheels for Less they are American Racing Torqer II 286 VN5155665 15" x 6"/5Bolt x 4½/ 3¼" Rear Space; Tires are Cooper Cobra, 205/75/R15. They just kiss the rear fender a bit when stroked all the way up like when going over railroad trax, and can't use skirts.

gregoryk7 06-15-2017 09:21 AM

Check Thunderbird Head Quarters and Hills and Rock Auto for front end parts. Also, use silver or black Chassis Saver (magnetic paint) on the calipers and master. The trend is not to keep them totally original, it is to bring them up to the safest technology available to keep the shiny side up.

thunderroze 06-15-2017 10:03 AM

Looking at Auto City Classic; don't see a Tbird kit. Happen to have the part number? Or know which you purchased.

What year is yours?

flylow 07-25-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmlynek (Post 13132)

Just getting started on this job. Can you email photos to me at mike@adventurescript.com