Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

56 T-bird Power Window Relays

This is a discussion on 56 T-bird Power Window Relays within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Backstory: my car spent some time in England. During that time, there was some freelance electrical work on it, and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 70.113.48.207
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
1956 Fiesta Red T-bird

DreemKiller is on a distinguished road
Garage
56 T-bird Power Window Relays

Backstory: my car spent some time in England. During that time, there was some freelance electrical work on it, and there are some British relays in the driver side door. The system has stopped working, and I'd like to rebuild the system, using original wiring harnesses and non-British parts.
When I look in the catalogs, there's a part (14512B - Replay-Power Seat or Window 56/7 Replacement - 4 terminal) that I don't see in any of the wiring or installation diagrams for the windows in the Electrical Equipment Installation Manual.
Looking in the Illustrations Catalog, the only illustration for power windows is labeled "1954/56 'Typical' Electrical Window Regulator", which is an illustration for a sedan. This illustration has the suspect relay in at least 3 of the doors. It's not clear if it's in the drivers door.

Now for my question: do I need this part? If so, will it fit into the door wiring harnesses that are available in the catalogs? Do I need one for both the driver and passenger door? What's it's purpose?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.63.46.17
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
The 55-57 TBird Parts Illustrated shows the relay. Part # 14677. It also shows a relay, part # 14512 which seems to be a substitute . Perhaps over the years they used two different ones. Its not for a sedan (TBird manual), but it does say "typical". The 14512 is the same configuration as the power seat relay. It appears that there is only one relay.

In the Electrical Equipment Installation Manual it shows the relay ( # 14677) mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment near the heater plenum. My Electrical Equipment Installation Manual shows the wires, their color and the routing of the power seat wires and location of the other related parts.

The power seat harness is probably a separate and distinct harness that is probably available from the parts suppliers so you can dump all the crappy stuff and have all a harness that is new and correct (and works).

The CASCO catalog does not have a replacement that has the original configuration of either, but it does have a replacement. If you can locate a correct relay, I know of a person who rebuilds these. He may have an original in stock. Since the original configurations are not available, it my be somewhat expensive. email me if you want his name. he is in Oregon.

I got a 56, but don't have power windows so I cannot check an actual installation.

I hope this helps.

Do you have a fellow club member who has a 56 with power windows?

Last edited by paul2748; 01-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 134.134.139.70
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
1956 Fiesta Red T-bird

Garage
So, in your opinion (Don't worry, I won't hold you to it), 14512 is just a replacement for 14677, and the T-birds only have one (instead of 3 or 4, like the sedan has). That's what I expected, but wanted a sanity check. We'll see how it works out.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.63.46.17
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
I really don't know if its a replacement or a change that was made. The guy I mentioned previously could tell you. He is a nice guy and I'm sure he knows what is what. He has worked on and restored Tbirds so is very knowledgable about early Birds. He probably has the proper relay in stock. You can use my name if you want. email me if you want his tele # and email

It looks like there is only one relay. I double checked my other electrical installation manual and I only see one.

While working on my 56 today, I looked up some additional info on power windows and found that there are three harnesses relative to power windows

#14630 - harness for right side
#14631 - harness for left side
#14679 - harness for relay

All are available from the TBird parts suppliers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreemKiller View Post
So, in your opinion (Don't worry, I won't hold you to it), 14512 is just a replacement for 14677, and the T-birds only have one (instead of 3 or 4, like the sedan has). That's what I expected, but wanted a sanity check. We'll see how it works out.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 206.53.91.22
Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 PM

jfhbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
I just put power windows in my bird this past summer.. It is a 56 and there is only one relay however there is a circuit breaker in each door and one under the dash.
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 134.134.137.73
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
1956 Fiesta Red T-bird

Garage
JFHNbird,
Which Relay did you install? Do you remember the part number?
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 206.53.91.22
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM

jfhbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
14677. I called a bunch of places and found an original one . I have an extra aftermarket one that i could sell you but it installs slightly differently. Hills thunderbird had an original but it is kind of pricy.