Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

'56 convertible top

This is a discussion on '56 convertible top within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; My '56 Bird didn't come with a soft top. I am going to purchase one but have found that there ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 75.170.53.245
Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Phillmike is on a distinguished road
Question '56 convertible top

My '56 Bird didn't come with a soft top. I am going to purchase one but have found that there is a "swing arm assembly" that I have been told is optional. It is supposed to facilitate the lowering and storage of the top. Given the price of the top assembly, the extra 4-500 for the swing arm assembly is something that I might do later. Can anyone tell me what is needed and what is just nice to have? Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 142.46.6.30
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
phillmike,

As you know, assuming you have a hard top, its a two person job to remove and attach either top to the car. From my experience (my 55 has the soft top) you could be flirting with disaster to try a removal/install of a soft top without the swing arm assembly.

If the locking bar between the back two bows were to come unlocked during a removal/install, the entire soft top would fold up instantly, possibly injuring you or the car.

My advice would be to bite the bullet and get the swing arm as well. I'm pretty certain you'll be much happier.

I suggest that you go online to Amos Minter (a small bird dealer and restoration facility in Dallas/Fortworth). They have a ready supply of new and used soft top assemblies for all 3 years, right on their site. While tops are expensive, you may find they have an entire assembly to fit what you require. Last time I checked ( several years ago) they had 12 to 15 in stock.

As with most things, the longer you wait, the more expensive things tend to get. Good Luck in your search.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 75.170.54.74
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM

Phillmike is on a distinguished road
More on the top

Thanks for the response and your thoughts. Amos Minter does have a number of complete tops ready for sale. They are all original frames with newer tops. I am wondering if anyone has experience they could share with the replacement frames available today? Are they as sturdy as the original? Do they fit as well as the sellers want us to believe? Thanks.