Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Power Seat Vertical Motor

This is a discussion on Power Seat Vertical Motor within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I was wondering if someone could help me out. The motor on the vertical seat adjustment is having a few ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 97.91.153.238
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM

vintagestg is on a distinguished road
Power Seat Vertical Motor

I was wondering if someone could help me out. The motor on the vertical seat adjustment is having a few problems. The motor and relays are operating fine. The problem appears to be that the plastic threaded gear on the opposite side of the shaft from the motor is not staying in place. Every time I try and raise or lower the seat it starts to operate fine and then after a second or two the plastic gear pops out. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some sort of clip to keep it in place or not. The parts guide doesn't seem to list it as a part number. When I go to Mac's or NPD they show the motor but don't show the drive assembly on the other side of the motor shaft. I know I'm rambling here but I'm at a loss. Can anyone help? Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 142.46.6.30
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
Two thoughts:
First, the other power seat motor is exactly the same, as I recall (been years since I restored the car and I may be wrong). Pull it out of the car and see how it compares.
Second, Hill's Thunderbird Center (call 740-949-1956) can provide many NOS and used parts, even listing some for power seat motors, etc. They may have what you need in stock or can provide the answer you need.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 97.91.153.238
Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 PM

vintagestg is on a distinguished road
Thanks...found out the problem...there's a cap that goes over the drive gear that, for some reason, was missing. It's molded onto the drive unit so it's not replaceable. Had to buy a used drive unit but it works fine now.