Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

1957 E-Code Carburetor Question

This is a discussion on 1957 E-Code Carburetor Question within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi folks, I am a new T-Bird owner and new to the forum. I trying to determine the correct carburetors ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.75.78.79
Old 03-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Rick76 is on a distinguished road
1957 E-Code Carburetor Question

Hi folks,

I am a new T-Bird owner and new to the forum. I trying to determine the correct carburetors for a 1957 automatic e-code car. I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Rick
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.63.46.17
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
E code with auto:

Front ECJ 9510 AA List 1437
Rear ECJ 9510-AB List 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick76 View Post
Hi folks,

I am a new T-Bird owner and new to the forum. I trying to determine the correct carburetors for a 1957 automatic e-code car. I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Rick
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 99.75.78.79
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Rick76 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. Any idea why they use two different carburetor numbers?

Rick
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.63.46.17
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM

I've never fooled around with an E Bird, so i don't know the difference.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 24.158.166.206
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
Don,t know but I would stay away from" electric choke type" holly MFG. replacement carburators ...as the stupid "electric " choke opens more rapidly and rushes the needed (slower opening of choke ) when key is turned on choke plate opens way too soon.. I SENT THAT BACK TO THEM got a cheerful refund too..AFTER THERE TECH DEPT SAID WE DON'T HAVE ANYBODY ELSE WITH A COMPLAINT OF THIS DESIGN... SO THIS OEM DESIRE WAS SOLVED AS I GOT A REBUILT correct (1964 352 carb) FROM PAT WILSONS T BIRDS ON INTERNET SITE FOR A (1958 BIRD coupe) (WHICH HAS THE CORRECT FACING S T E M at carb type FOR THE 1/8 TH copper tube ASBESTOS UP DRAFT TUBE FROM RIGHT EXHAUST STOVE PORT ON EXHAUST HEADER TO CARB FACING THE RIGHT FENDER AND NOT FACING DOWN TOWARDS ENGINE AS SOME OF THOSE 4100 MODEL NUMBERS HAD different 58 changed at 1960 years BY THE WAY SOMEBODY PUT IN A 64 GALAXIE 352 IN MY 58 BIRD BEFORE ME AND THAT MADE carb different choke asbestos tube stem at carb different,please note!!!, ...WATERPUMP FAN STEM DIFFERENT (THE 58 MOTORS GET THE LONG CORRECT WATER PUMP TYPE SHAFT LENTH AND THE 64 MOTORS GET THE SHORTER SHAFT to save on frustration and loss of shipping monies.. also the( radiator hoses) are longer for the 64 year 352 engine between top resivor and radiator.. top and bottom . ALSO NOTE, drivers side motor mount on my 58 year has a 3/4 hole thru a 1 inch hex nut keeping the motor away from the mount by 3/4 distanceBECAUSE AS (without the spacer (3/4 nut)..between the motor and mount) , the steering box missed the drivers side exhaust header pipe by a 1/16 th distance and at acceleration..header , use to hit steering box.. robert has looked at engine identification numbers now and after two recent rebuilds has a carb that don"t get to leaking to oil pan (gas) from needle and seat overnite thinning my oil and cause of babbit destruction $$$thru contamination of oil not covered by first rebuilder...al gore"s ethanol ruins rubber needle and seats. non-ethanol now in my tank from now on .
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 173.63.46.17
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 PM

What is this all about???? He asking about stock carbs for a 57..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertZpianoman View Post
Don,t know but I would stay away from" electric choke type" holly MFG. replacement carburators ...as the stupid "electric " choke opens more rapidly and rushes the needed (slower opening of choke ) when key is turned on choke plate opens way too soon.. I SENT THAT BACK TO THEM got a cheerful refund too..AFTER THERE TECH DEPT SAID WE DON'T HAVE ANYBODY ELSE WITH A COMPLAINT OF THIS DESIGN... SO THIS OEM DESIRE WAS SOLVED AS I GOT A REBUILT correct (1964 352 carb) FROM PAT WILSONS T BIRDS ON INTERNET SITE FOR A (1958 BIRD coupe) (WHICH HAS THE CORRECT FACING S T E M at carb type FOR THE 1/8 TH copper tube ASBESTOS UP DRAFT TUBE FROM RIGHT EXHAUST STOVE PORT ON EXHAUST HEADER TO CARB FACING THE RIGHT FENDER AND NOT FACING DOWN TOWARDS ENGINE AS SOME OF THOSE 4100 MODEL NUMBERS HAD different 58 changed at 1960 years BY THE WAY SOMEBODY PUT IN A 64 GALAXIE 352 IN MY 58 BIRD BEFORE ME AND THAT MADE carb different choke asbestos tube stem at carb different,please note!!!, ...WATERPUMP FAN STEM DIFFERENT (THE 58 MOTORS GET THE LONG CORRECT WATER PUMP TYPE SHAFT LENTH AND THE 64 MOTORS GET THE SHORTER SHAFT to save on frustration and loss of shipping monies.. also the( radiator hoses) are longer for the 64 year 352 engine between top resivor and radiator.. top and bottom . ALSO NOTE, drivers side motor mount on my 58 year has a 3/4 hole thru a 1 inch hex nut keeping the motor away from the mount by 3/4 distanceBECAUSE AS (without the spacer (3/4 nut)..between the motor and mount) , the steering box missed the drivers side exhaust header pipe by a 1/16 th distance and at acceleration..header , use to hit steering box.. robert has looked at engine identification numbers now and after two recent rebuilds has a carb that don"t get to leaking to oil pan (gas) from needle and seat overnite thinning my oil and cause of babbit destruction $$$thru contamination of oil not covered by first rebuilder...al gore"s ethanol ruins rubber needle and seats. non-ethanol now in my tank from now on .
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 24.158.166.206
Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 PM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
e carb infro.

ooops. you,re right . this was an old retired guy z pianoman with the "flu" giving history... that just may be helpful to someone running into these life events with the old car restoration journey. excuse the post etc.
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 206.53.91.22
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM

jfhbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
I believe the difference is the aa carb has a dashpot on it for use with an automatic transmission.

Tags
carb, carburetor, e-code