Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

brake rub in 57 from newbie

This is a discussion on brake rub in 57 from newbie within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I am new to this forum and happy to find it! I inherited a spectacular 57 D from my Uncle. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 206.53.226.236
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM

indyjr is on a distinguished road
brake rub in 57 from newbie

I am new to this forum and happy to find it! I inherited a spectacular 57 D from my Uncle. I have a couple questions I hope you can help with. I have a rub from both brake drums on the backing plates in the rear when I corner. Anyone else experience this? Causes/fix? Also I have a vaccuum line that is small that goes thru the firewall on the passenger side that has a screw in the end of it to block it under the carbuerator. Is this a heater vaccuum hose and to what should it be hooked to? Any reason he plugged it? Also, has anyone found a diaper for the irritating rear main seal that attaches to the car that works? Is the KOOS pad available to anyones knowledge? Thanks Fellas (and ladies)!
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.18.17
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
As far as the brake rub goes, I would check the wheel bearings. Probably shot. You should be getting noises if this is the case. Or, long shot, adjustment on the wheel bearing is not correct (loose).

The vacuum line might be for the the heater. There is a valve under the heater cover that it goes to (looks sorta like a spider). Could also be for the wipers, although this one is not a tiny hose. If it is for the heater, look for a manual heater control under the plenum in the engine compartment, as the valve controls the temperature and if the valve didn't work, the previous owner may have installed the manual control.

Let us know what the rubbing was caused by when you find out.

Last edited by paul2748; 10-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 97.81.169.162
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
rear main seal

any reliable shop can lift engine with the trans cooling lines detached from right side bracket on engine just foward of the right motor mount and take out the oil pan and install the "rope" seal kit avail. on internet. and instruction is on how to do anything to a ford , 312 ci or 352 ci engine and tons of other step by step instruction ...thunderbird sites .commeaning ( squarebirds.com) all small case....JUST YOU WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS SITE !!! ALL MY' 58 T BIRD INQUIRY'S HAVE BEEN SOLVED BY MY MECHANICAL SKILLS LEARNER ON THIS SITE'S HELP. OUR '57 (CORAL COLOR ) COUNTRY SQUIRE IS GONE NOW ,9 PASSENGER WAS A COOL CAR FOR THE ZEOLI FAMILY BUT WAS A GIFT FROM DAD AND I'M A T-BIRD DUDE , SO WERE ALL OK NOW.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.18.17
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
No need to raise engine. Put the car on a lift - you my have to drop down the idler arm to get the pan off. May have to have the engine on top dead center in order to clear the weight on the crank.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 97.81.169.162
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
rear main seal/ diaper

go to squarebirds . com (ALL SMALL CASE LETTERS )for exact instructions on 20 things you can do your self to your bird. lots of step by step instruction. goo luck with that.

Tags
brakes, oil leak, vaccuum line