Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Original clock & radio or not?

This is a discussion on Original clock & radio or not? within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I got a handle on most other fix needs for my 1955 thunderbird but whould like some feedback about the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 67.142.168.141
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM

kevinrcase is on a distinguished road
Garage
Original clock & radio or not?

I got a handle on most other fix needs for my 1955 thunderbird but whould like some feedback about the clock & radio. I think it is all origonal even whith 6V positive ground. The clock & radio are both origonal but do not work.

Per vendors I have found the clock can be fixed or retrofited with a quartz movement for a little extra money. The clock vendor says everything will look origonal except the second had will move like modern clocks and not "sweep".

The radio can be fixed to original AM with vacuum tubes etc or can be converted to electronic transistorized with AM/FM for extra money. The radio guy says the AM/FM conversion will use the same parts and look the same except there will be an additional light to tell me it is in FM mode.

Should I stive for origiinal or accept the convieniences?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 50.101.231.13
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
Its your car, do what you want. That said, antiques are always worth more when they're original. New vaccuum tubes and vibrator would keep the radio original, not that most small bird owners use them anyway.

As for the clock, any fix would be an improvement, and only if you were getting the car judged in a concourse event would it matter if the second hand sweeps.

For what its worth, neither the clock nor the radio work in my 55, and I can't see myself correcting them, as I never use them anyway.

You have some decisions to make.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.70.18.17
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Do you want to enjoy your car or do you want a original type trailer queen car to be run only when loading and unloading it from the trailer? The answer to that question will make the decision for you.

If you want the first, get the quartz clock and the am/fm radio. I drive my car despite a full, frame off resto and I went for both. Happy that I did.

Neither of these modifications will alter the value of the car by much, if any.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 63.228.140.51
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 PM

57MexicanTBird is on a distinguished road
Garage
Good Question -

Are you planning on driving it or just watching it sit in the garage? Do you want to drive it to the Soda Shop a couple times a month to meet your friends or put it in an enclosed trailer and take it to a car show?

About 9 months ago I had a mechanic do a few things to my 57, he was about 70 years old so he had a wealth of tips that even my 64 years envied. At the time he had a couple other cars in his shop that were from 20 to 30 years older than mine. He made the comment that although he had worked on and reconditioned many collection cars, most of them are only really valuable if you have the original bill of sale.

I don't - do you?

It matters not to me because I bought mine to drive and do so daily here in AZ during the winter.

So - If you plan on driving yours for enjoyment, if you plan on attending the weekly stops at the local Soda Fountain with the other aficionados in their older cars, if your goal is to just plain have fun; then make the alterations that will help you enjoy it the most. If your goal is to restore to meet concourse, then by all means, get a second mortgage.

Have fun!