Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Odd Data Plate

This is a discussion on Odd Data Plate within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Just acquired 57 project and will have many questions. Here are 2: 1. My data plate located on firewall passenger ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 63.231.81.163
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 AM

valhalla4771 is on a distinguished road
Odd Data Plate

Just acquired 57 project and will have many questions. Here are 2:
1. My data plate located on firewall passenger side engine compartment is plain rectangle blank (no black paint, no lettering) with the correct VIN stamped at the top right center and the following stamped below in the center of the plate
40 FE XL 27M240164P. The data correctly describes the vehicle. But I have no idea what the "P" is at the end. The car was repainted sometime in the past, but the engine compartment appears untouched. Any idea why the plate is a blank metal plate?
2. I'm taking off exterior trim. I can get 4 of the nuts off the posts off the fender hash marks. I believe there are 2 more which appear to be hidden behind a rubber seal at the airintake tubes. How do I get to those remaining post/nuts on the hash tag trim?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 173.54.39.94
Old 05-09-2015, 10:13 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
The paint on the data plate is probably worn off.. You can get a decal to fix it or you can get a new data plate. They are reproduced. Don't know what the "P" is.

You will have to remove the rubber seal to get at the remaining nuts. I am not aware of any other way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla4771 View Post
Just acquired 57 project and will have many questions. Here are 2:
1. My data plate located on firewall passenger side engine compartment is plain rectangle blank (no black paint, no lettering) with the correct VIN stamped at the top right center and the following stamped below in the center of the plate
40 FE XL 27M240164P. The data correctly describes the vehicle. But I have no idea what the "P" is at the end. The car was repainted sometime in the past, but the engine compartment appears untouched. Any idea why the plate is a blank metal plate?
2. I'm taking off exterior trim. I can get 4 of the nuts off the posts off the fender hash marks. I believe there are 2 more which appear to be hidden behind a rubber seal at the airintake tubes. How do I get to those remaining post/nuts on the hash tag trim?
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 70.160.90.19
Old 05-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Greetings,
I would suggest that you check with The Thunderbird Registry.
There are over 58,000 Birds of all years registered. Yours may have been registered before and he may have some info on it.
You can contact them here:
Thunderbird Registry - Contact Form
If you do Facebook they have a group you can join and ask there also.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tbirdregistry/
or CTCI:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Class...976374?fref=ts

You should join CTCI if you are not a member.
CTCI - Classic Thunderbird Club International

There have been instances of some oddball codes and there is some conjecture that they were typos when the code was punced into the data plate.

HTH

http://www.squarebirds.org/users/Jim...ite/index.html
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 63.231.81.163
Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
The paint on the data plate is probably worn off.. You can get a decal to fix it or you can get a new data plate. They are reproduced. Don't know what the "P" is.

You will have to remove the rubber seal to get at the remaining nuts. I am not aware of any other way to do it.

OK, thanks.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 63.231.81.163
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 AM

I'll do some poling around, thanks.