Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

57 manual passenger window will not roll up completely

This is a discussion on 57 manual passenger window will not roll up completely within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Steve, That's why we're here! Hope they have steered you in the correct direction to get to the bottom of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)   IP: 76.10.145.53
Old 08-03-2015, 06:47 PM

gbhrps is on a distinguished road
Steve,

That's why we're here!

Hope they have steered you in the correct direction to get to the bottom of your issue!

As I stated before, Hill's ThunderBird Center has really impressed me with their care and business sense. I recently had then send me a fuel gauge sending unit for my 55, and USPS lost it somewhere after Chicago. After a reasonable length of time for it to show up, Hill's bit the bullet and shipped me another one at their cost.

You can't ask for more than that. If the original sending unit ever shows up at my door, I"LL pay to ship it back to Hill's, and I'll include a money order for half the cost of the unit as well! There are many businesses that would have said that I was on my own.

Gene
  #17 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 PM

Navydad181 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydad181 View Post
Gene,

Called Hill's this morning and spoke with technical support...They were very helpful Felt that it was the scissor mechanism is bent and suggested I will remove it and inspect...stated that with metal rollers it was unlikely the rollers.

Great suggestion to contact Hill's technical support!

Steve
Well, today I removed the scissor assembly from the passenger door and found it unbent and solid. So I proceeded to take out the window w/track and cleaned the 53 year old grease which had congealed into a rock hard substance all about the track and rollers. The metal rollers were good traveling freely in their tracks once cleaned and so was the scissor mechanism. I reinstalled all the vintage parts, making sure to tighten them in the full allowable up position, and gave it a try. To my amazement, the window rolled all the way up with no squeaking and with ease feeling like a new car... It has been quite a learning experience...

Now continuing on with replacing the degraded dash wiring harness as the insulation has become brittle and bare in some spots. Using my DVM it was clearly bad/shorting and in need of replacement. Wish me luck...

Steve
  #18 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 08-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Garage
Typo...58 year old grease...
  #19 (permalink)   IP: 76.10.145.24
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 PM

Steve,

Glad the window problem is fixed, .... and it didn't cost any money!

While it is possible to get under the dash to get at the wiring, particularly if you remove the seats from the car, it is far better to entirely remove the dash from the car to replace that harness.

I saw a complete write up on the dash removal here in the forum back within the last year I'm sure.

Gene
  #20 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
Steve,

Glad the window problem is fixed, .... and it didn't cost any money!

While it is possible to get under the dash to get at the wiring, particularly if you remove the seats from the car, it is far better to entirely remove the dash from the car to replace that harness.

I saw a complete write up on the dash removal here in the forum back within the last year I'm sure.

Gene
Yeah the window repair is quite a relief and the price was right just some sweat

I had already removed the dash prior to the window issue, yes the best way is to remove the seat, and took on the window because I was waiting for some dash parts. I had taken the dash and hardware to the painter and got it back the other day. I'm just waiting on some gauges I sent for repair and the aluminum instrument dash trim to reconstruct it. I'm replacing all trim and the dash pad also. It will look like a brand new dash when finished. I have all new upholstery too.

The teenager that owned her way back replaced the engine with a 302 and just did a terrible job with it...transmission is incorrect and linkage is backwards just a endless degree of mousing, teenagers . I've acquired another 312 and Ford "O" Matic and will be reinstalling it next. You have to love these Birds to put yourself through this , and I do...

Getting there little by little.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011(1).JPG (76.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (98.9 KB, 10 views)
  #21 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah the window repair is quite a relief and the price was right just some sweat

I had already removed the dash prior to the window issue, yes the best way is to remove the seat, and took on the window because I was waiting for some dash parts. I had taken the dash and hardware to the painter and got it back the other day. I'm just waiting on some gauges I sent for repair and the aluminum instrument dash trim to reconstruct it. I'm replacing all trim and the dash pad also. It will look like a brand new dash when finished. I have all new upholstery too.

The teenager that owned her way back replaced the engine with a 302 and just did a terrible job with it...transmission is incorrect and linkage is backwards just a endless degree of mousing, teenagers . I've acquired another 312 and Ford "O" Matic and will be reinstalling it next. You have to love these Birds to put yourself through this , and I do...

Getting there little by little.

Steve
A labor of endless love I must say...forge on!
  #22 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 08-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
A labor of endless love I must say...forge on!
This is the 312 that's waiting to go in...
  #23 (permalink)   IP: 76.10.145.197
Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM

navydad181,

I know of what you speak! I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of my 55 during its restoration some 18 or so years ago. I'd just retired from teaching and began working in an antique auto restoration shop that specialized in small birds and Auburns.

It was on a rotisserie awaiting paint when I had the opportunity to buy it and help in its reconstruction.

I was lucky enough to get to do a lot of the work on my car during reassembly, which had 18 000 original miles on it when I got the keys. That doesn't happen every day. I consider myself very lucky.

Gene
  #24 (permalink)   IP: 50.156.80.124
Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
navydad181,

I know of what you speak! I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of my 55 during its restoration some 18 or so years ago. I'd just retired from teaching and began working in an antique auto restoration shop that specialized in small birds and Auburns.

It was on a rotisserie awaiting paint when I had the opportunity to buy it and help in its reconstruction.

I was lucky enough to get to do a lot of the work on my car during reassembly, which had 18 000 original miles on it when I got the keys. That doesn't happen every day. I consider myself very lucky.

Gene
Is this a 57' Thunderbird engine? Someone is saying that the horizontal casting line on the front of the heads means it's a 1960 or later? When I google a 57'T Bird engine some have this casting line and some don't? What's the real story?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.JPG (146.6 KB, 6 views)