Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Stored t-bird engine dies

This is a discussion on Stored t-bird engine dies within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi all, just joined the forum. I recently bought a 55 which was stored for 4 years. It was restored ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 98.195.173.152
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 AM

SteveK is on a distinguished road
Stored t-bird engine dies

Hi all, just joined the forum. I recently bought a 55 which was stored for 4 years. It was restored 25 years ago but was kept in great shape. It has a 57 312 engine with a ECZ9510AA carb.

With fresh gas the engine starts up and runs great for a few minutes and then just dies. If I feather the gas when its dieing it comes back to life so I'm 99% sure its a fuel issue. It always restarts right after it dies but then just dies again after a minute or two. I've ordered a new fuel pump and fuel filter element. Any other ideas anyone has for me to dig into would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Steve
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 108.35.7.12
Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
I would check the gas tank for any dirt. The same scenerio happens when there is foreign material in the tank not small enough to get into the line but gets sucked up, closing the line off. When the pressure (suction) dies (the engine stops), the material drops off the line only to be sucked up again when the engine (and suction) starts again.

Another possible cause is that the carb needs an rebuild - cleaned up. If you are using an ethanol blend, make sure the rubber parts are ethanol safe.

Third possible problem. The flex line going to the pump from the line running to the gas tank may be bad. They can collapse internally but look good from the outside. Ditto with the flex line at the rear.

Last edited by paul2748; 08-10-2017 at 11:02 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 38.122.67.244
Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 AM

SteveK is on a distinguished road
Paul, thanks and great tips. I'll check those first before I change out the filter and fuel pump!!

Steve