Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Alternator conversion - HELP!

This is a discussion on Alternator conversion - HELP! within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I normally stay in the "Flair Bird" section. My Bird is a '66 convertible. I am helping out a friend ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 107.77.194.113
Old 07-19-2019, 11:16 AM

new to this is on a distinguished road
Garage
Alternator conversion - HELP!

I normally stay in the "Flair Bird" section. My Bird is a '66 convertible. I am helping out a friend with a '56.

We changed "teapot" carb to Edelbrock using manifold plate adaptor. Changed distributor to electronic style. So far all good.

Used existing ignition wire to coil (removed resistor) to added relay to power new coil/distributor. So far - still all good. Engine runs smooth - starts easier. A few times - the ignition switch would not turn off engine. It did not happen all the time - intermittent. Suspected bad ignition switch - replaced it.

Removed generator. Installed "one-wire" alternator. Added wire from alternator to battery. (Old generator wiring disconnected and isolated - taped up and tucked away.)

Existing voltage regulator still mounted and connected into original wiring.

ISSUE: The generator light obviously stays lit. Applying 12VDC quickly to any of the terminals of the existing voltage regulator turns off "GEN" light. However - now the ignition switch will not turn off car. (Have to remove power to coil/distributor to turn car off) OK, now car is off - ignition switch is in off position - generator light is illuminated. Requires to disconnect battery to turn off GEN light.

I looked through all 26 pages of the forum. And yes, I have a wiring diagram. I am to the point as Clint Eastwood said in the movie "Magnum Force" - "every man has got to know his limitations," I am beyond my abilities.

Requesting help from the forum group. In advance - thanks all.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.71.42.166
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Yadkin is on a distinguished road
Garage
The "run" terminal on the ignition switch powers the coil (red-green stripe wire to pink resistor wire to red-green strip wire) AND the voltage regulator (green-red stripe). You may be back-feeding the coil through that somehow.

Not sure why you have a relay in the circuit. Perhaps to get 12 volts to the coil and bypass the resistor?

See the attached diagrams, factory and modified.

Then check to see if you have zero voltage at the coil with key off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIRING_001.jpg (72.7 KB, 32 views)
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 107.77.194.113
Old 07-27-2019, 04:19 PM

new to this is on a distinguished road
Garage
Yadkin,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, relay was added to make sure there was adequate voltage to electronic distributor/coil. (Fought that battle w/ my '66 Bird)

Your modified wiring diagram will be a big help.

It will be a week before I get back to this friend's house.

I will let you know.