Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Early Birds [1955-1957]

Early Birds [1955-1957] Have a Super Sharp 1955 to 1957 Thunderbird or just want to learn about them? Show yours off and talk about them here.

Brake light and rear turn signal

This is a discussion on Brake light and rear turn signal within the Early Birds [1955-1957] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; hello, i recently acquired a beautiful 1957 tbird, runs amazing, unfortunately the brakee lights and turn signals dont work. i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 107.184.39.170
Old 02-07-2020, 03:07 PM

haidantbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
Question Brake light and rear turn signal

hello, i recently acquired a beautiful 1957 tbird, runs amazing, unfortunately the brakee lights and turn signals dont work. i took off the lenses of the brake light and there was one cut wire on the side and the fixture in the middle had no light bulbs. which fixture is for what? and what should i do? haha very new to this no sure what to do.
thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 108.35.4.173
Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Fixture in the middle is for back up lights. They were optional. If your lens does not have a white part in the middle it may mean that the car did not come with back up lights or someone disconnected them.

Did you look inside the trunk and see if there is a wire running to the other bulb of both lights?

Check the wires to the park/brake/signal to see if there is power to them. If not, you will have to trace back to see where the power stops. Could be a bad switch in the column or could be that the wires coming out of the colum are not connected to the wires going to the back.

Do you have front signal lights?
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 107.184.39.170
Old 02-10-2020, 06:47 PM

haidantbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
Alright thanks, i got bulbs and the electrical installation guide, i put the bulbs in the middle socket because the manual said they were the running lights, also found out that the wires that were cut off are the brake light and turn signal. so i have to rewire a new socket for the brake light/ turn signal, then test to see if the switches are working.

Tags
brake lights, taillights, turn signals, wiring