Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

No Fender Skirts on a 65?

This is a discussion on No Fender Skirts on a 65? within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; looks like you have pretty nice car to enjoy. There are some huge differences between a 64 and 65. Some ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)   IP: 68.192.175.163
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM

boaterbob is on a distinguished road
looks like you have pretty nice car to enjoy. There are some huge differences between a 64 and 65. Some being sequential taillights, Disc brakes, Different booster/MC, 65 motor has a pcv valve to name a few. Not certain, But i don't think a 64 ignition switch will plug into the harness on a 65 Post some pics so you can be sure what parts to order if you need to. Even the doors look the same but will not interchange. nothings a problem at all as long as you know what you have. Good luck with the Bird.
  #17 (permalink)   IP: 96.61.157.62
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Eric the Barber is on a distinguished road
Heres a link to my album of the car.
http://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/mem...underbird.html

The more I drive it the smoother it runs. Its great! The only problems I've came across is if I roll the drivers side window all the way down, it wont roll back up. (I didnt figure it out until after I got the new door panel on and it was about to rain, it sucked) and it sounds/feels like my heating/air is always blowing at its highest setting all the time even if I turn of everything. Then I have a coolant leak (probably just need a new hose).
  #18 (permalink)   IP: 69.131.144.227
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
So, Im still kind of curious as to why it doesnt have the feather scripts like 65's. I've found a couple others that dont (Ill attach a pic of one). And Im also curious as to why the filter is blue instead of gold. Someone told me it could be an early 65 and the script was just stock from the 64s. But that still doesnt explain the engine. Im pretty sure its the original engine but they might have got a filter from a 66 or just painted the 65s blue.

This is my first classic car project, so sorry if these are dumb questions. Thanks for any help. (65 with same scripting as mine)
  #19 (permalink)   IP: 173.188.71.225
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM

dansbirds is on a distinguished road
You have 64 fenders on it, 65's are completly different as they are recessed where the feathers go. I have seen quite a few restorations that have painted the engines blue unknowingly,which is correct for Ford from 66 on, possibly the motor was swapped? it does have earlier valve covers on it, or rebuilt and painted Ford blue. From your pic album I can see you also have 64 t/l lenses and the center bumper emblem also. 65's center emblem is a bird and the lights would have a grille over them. At some point the car was painted also as your inner wheelhouses have been painted. Someone before might have just liked the look of the 64 fender better with the script on it and not back on the 1/4. If you have a shop manual you can de-code the door tag info, or post it on here and I or someone else can for you. I cant quite tell from your pic but is your frt grille 1 piece or 2, 64's were 1 long piece and 65's are split in the middle. Dont worry though, they are not dumb questions.

Last edited by dansbirds; 03-09-2011 at 01:00 PM.
  #20 (permalink)   IP: 69.131.144.227
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
The grill is all one piece. So now I'm thinking maybe its a 64 with the hood and door of a 65 and a sequential light kit put on it. But it also has original disc brakes so...? Ill have to try and find another vin on the body. The one on the door is 5Y83Z151370. My shop manual wont be here till this weekend.
  #21 (permalink)   IP: 173.188.71.225
Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM

dansbirds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Barber View Post
The grill is all one piece. So now I'm thinking maybe its a 64 with the hood and door of a 65 and a sequential light kit put on it. But it also has original disc brakes so...? Ill have to try and find another vin on the body. The one on the door is 5Y83Z151370. My shop manual wont be here till this weekend.
Well the vin says its a 65 built in wixom as a 2 door hardtop with a 390. unit #'s started at 100001 so I would say you are the 51370th bird built which would not make it a early car so best guess is at some point someone either damaged the frt or just liked the look of 64 fenders/grille/tail lights. The factory sequential unit would be mounted in the trunk area on the pass side behind the seat back area. It will be a bag mounted on a rubber pad. Also 64 t/l's plugged in with a 4 pin harness plug and 65's went to a 6 pin plug. I didnt see the interior but 64's used brushed aluminum trim on the dash where a 65 hardtop used a black finish, landaus used would grain but that isnt you. You can also find the vin stamped on the upper radiator support if you dont trust the door tag
  #22 (permalink)   IP: 69.131.144.227
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
The interior has the black, so its more than likely a 65 that I would like to think someone switched them out because they liked it (but odds are it took damage:( It's kind of disappointing because I was planning on restoring it to its original. But I still love it so Im just going to change my plan and get it as close to original plus add some custom things to it. Its going to be a sweet ride (not that it isnt already). Thanks for the help. I'll post updates as they come.
http://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/mem...-interior.html (The center cone is on its way)

Last edited by Eric the Barber; 03-11-2011 at 11:32 AM.