Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Advice requested for new Tbird owner

This is a discussion on Advice requested for new Tbird owner within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I am soon to be the proud owner of a 1966 Thunderbird convertible. It has been completely restored, including rebuilt ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 12.162.1.71
Old 03-27-2003, 03:09 PM

James is on a distinguished road
Post Advice requested for new Tbird owner

I am soon to be the proud owner of a 1966 Thunderbird convertible. It has been completely restored, including rebuilt engine and transmission, new interior, new top and reconditioned hydraulics, etc. It has 95,000 miles on it, but only about 200 on the new engine and transmission. My plan is to drive this most days to and from work, but I don't work far from home (about 2 miles). My objective is to keep this fine vehicle in excellent shape so that if I want to sell it down the road, I can get a good price for it. Which brings me to my question: is there a source for suggested maintenance intervals? What other advice would you give to a new Tbird owner? Many thanks in advance.

James
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 67.118.246.213
Old 03-27-2003, 03:27 PM

Joe Vandatta is on a distinguished road
I have maintained my 66 with the help of an owners manual and a shop service manual since it was new---both available at classic T Bird suppliers. The shop manual is a good investment if you plan to keep her in top shape.
There are several stores, you might want to try The Bird Nest--www.tbirdparts.com as they are located in Or. where there is no sales tax.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 216.62.218.131
Old 03-28-2003, 05:45 PM

Captain Mike is on a distinguished road
You might also consider joining the local vintage Thunderbird club there in Austin. They call themselves the "Capitol City Thunderbirds" and are a local chapter of the national Vintage Thunderbird Club International. Their website is: www.capitolcitythunderbirds.org. The national club's website is: www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.198.60
Old 03-29-2003, 12:45 PM

t-bird-art is on a distinguished road
In addition to the above advices, by all means drive it regularily. These beasts MUST be driven. Worst thing is to leave them sit. Just keep them out of the Rain as best you can.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 12.162.1.71
Old 04-02-2003, 09:09 AM

James is on a distinguished road
Thanks, t-bird-art. I was hoping that someone would suggest to drive it. That is my plan.... the last thing I want is a car that sits in a garage all covered up. Shipping company called last night; I should have the car this evening. Whoo-hoo!

I even have two short road trips in the next 45 days that I'll take them on. I can't wait.

James