Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

'64 with a v10?

This is a discussion on '64 with a v10? within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I just bought a '64 tbird from a family friend this past weekend. it needs a new engine, so i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 64.89.58.130
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Quickshift is on a distinguished road
Garage
'64 with a v10?

I just bought a '64 tbird from a family friend this past weekend. it needs a new engine, so i was thinking, why not put a v10 from the e/f350 van/truck? I would like to know what the community here would think about this monster.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 66.168.40.218
Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM

aint_no_chicken is on a distinguished road
yeah and no...

I love the idea of being original, and thats a cool out side the box idea, but the 390 fe is an amazing engine, thats why u dont see many swaps in these cars. The 390 is enough to push these cars around nicely in stock form and will light the tires on command and if that aint enough there arre plenty of aftermarket perfromance parts for the fe engine series. And just remember fear begins with FE!
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 64.89.58.40
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM

Garage
390?

Um, the engine it came with was a 429. It's not running at the moment, so I was looking into a swap because I'm hesitant about tearing it down (I'm a body man and i don't know much about the inner workings, plus I'm afraid i won't put it back together right). I figure starting from scratch is a great way to learn. I want something newer, fuel injected, makes a reasonable amount of power, and isn't too expensive. (the engine/trans goes for less than 2k on ebay) I still have to restore the exterior/interior.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 66.168.40.218
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM

aint_no_chicken is on a distinguished road
Not original...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshift View Post
Um, the engine it came with was a 429. It's not running at the moment, so I was looking into a swap because I'm hesitant about tearing it down (I'm a body man and i don't know much about the inner workings, plus I'm afraid i won't put it back together right). I figure starting from scratch is a great way to learn. I want something newer, fuel injected, makes a reasonable amount of power, and isn't too expensive. (the engine/trans goes for less than 2k on ebay) I still have to restore the exterior/interior.
I assumed that it was the orignal engine, which would be a 390 0r a 428, both of the FE series. As far as putting it back together right, do some reading up on engine building, it is about proper method, measuring and common sense things, like taking your time and double checking. If its till seems intimadating, than presue the EFI mod motor swap. The wiring will be rather intimidating to when its there, staring up at you. Also, the actual measurements of the engine would be a good place to start, considering the mod motors are rather wide, and the Fe's sat rather snug in them, I can only imagen how tight the 429 is in there. Either way, Good luck with car, and if you do up the car, please post pics.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 64.89.58.160
Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Garage
Will do chicken. I will post pics this weekend.
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 64.89.51.132
Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Garage
I made 2 mistakes when I first posted this, first: the car is a 66. Second: the engine it came with was a 428. i don't have access to the original engine, (2 owners back it was removed with the trans, still running, and transfered to a mustang and the owner sold the mustang as an "original 428 cobra" to someone in michigan? I don't know for sure who bought it off ebay, but I bet they are pissed.) anyway, the car is being restored, (lots of rust to repair) and i still don't have an engine.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 69.71.188.24
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Cdhowell is on a distinguished road
The v 10 in my motor home looks much wider than the 390in my 64. I think the Inner fender wells would have to be modified to make this work.