Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Carb problem....... Again

This is a discussion on Carb problem....... Again within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; I just had my carb rebuilt. Sometimes it runs flawlessly and then suddenly it dies at a light and floods ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 12.145.215.6
Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Jerry Byers is on a distinguished road
Carb problem....... Again

I just had my carb rebuilt. Sometimes it runs flawlessly and then suddenly it dies at a light and floods out. Yesterday I had to have it towed home.

When I look down into the primary bowls, I see the gas dripping into the engine, not spraying from the jets as it should.

From what I read, this is a float problem causing the float bowl to overfill and pulling too much gas into the jets.

So.......... how do I fix this?

And...... are these floats still available if mine need replacing because I have a leak in one or both floats?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 208.49.43.6
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Jerry Byers is on a distinguished road
Oh another clue. Today even though the gas was still dripping I got the engine to start. Once it started, the gas started spraying correctly from the jets and the engine was running fine again. Obviously this was not divine intervention, and I still need to fix the underlying problem or it will happen again and leave me stranded............
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 76.166.100.67
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Los Angeles Ca.

redbird1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
If you have a service manual, look under the carburetor section.
There should be an adjustment on the float, and it should show in the manual how to adjust it.
I don't have my manual in front of me, but I am sure you can adjust the float without sending it out to be done.
Bob.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 96.242.59.6
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 AM

boaterbob is on a distinguished road
I've bought parts off this place before. You have too adjust floats/Fuel level wet.
WELCOME TO ALLSTATE CARBURETOR & FUEL INJECTION
Another good carb. resorce forum
Ed's Carburetor Forum. Carbs rule!!!!
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 173.74.104.177
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
Jerry: I have NOS carburetor floats for 1965 Convertible. $10 each plus 2.95 postage. Harley Eaton
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 71.88.210.178
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
float disaster coming!!

my float did that leak thing probrably from corn ethanol gas as inspection showed softer than usual rubber tip at float seat assy. so immediately resolve this problem or face possible consequences of a babbit motor rebuild as this weakens your oil pressure and starts knocking at crankshaft from diluted oil in pan from fuel contamination. ( I GOT SECOND ENGINE NOW AS FIRST ONE WENT OUT OF WARRANTY FROM A CARB. OVERFLOW TOO MANY TIMES VOIDING THE FIRST WARRANTY. HAD 9 PSI AT IDLE 40 PSI AT 2000 RPM'S AT FIRST engine eventually heats up and knocks as an indicator of trouble. changing oil may be too late see a qualified machanic and have him check for fuel in oil. fyi god luck with that.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 67.183.131.70
Old 06-12-2012, 12:35 PM

bondobird is on a distinguished road
Garage
My 1965's oil pressure is 10psi at idle and 40 when running. I didnt think that was something to worry about. Is it? Is this gas leaking float problem with only a certain brand or model of carb? My motor had an old crappy Holly on it and I changed it out for a used/rebuilt $50 Edlebrock. Runs a LOT better. I'm new at this and have not had a lot of experience with this. Should I change out the oil pump, or just smile and enjoy the ride?
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 71.88.210.178
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
low oil pressure

an engine rebuild shop can determine if you have a weak pump (tolerances) or is your guage not accurate,,,in any case your presssures are not up to spec"s and at this time it is a priority to get it checked as engine failure could leave you stranded...interesting thought...never keep going from regular oil then to synthetic type and then to regular oil. by the way what happenens when you add fresh oil today...and get that old oil out of the picture ?? 40 wt. for engine with 100k on it would be a good grade. if this cures the problem then yes, your old carb dumped gas into your oil making it a hazard to all your babbit on crank shaft rods etc. sorry if this is the case try the oil change first and remember if you go to a synthetic after doing (2 changes )to be sure all the regular oil is out of the way then you would be paying the $8.50 a quart from then on! like me , the second engine in the car with synthetic oil in the block and only premium fuel from tenneessee's" sun-co" brand of non-ethanol fuel I am ok with my 12 mpg. 352 c.i. ride.