tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Flair Birds [1964-1966] (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/flair-birds-1964-1966/)
-   -   electrical problems (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/flair-birds-1964-1966/418-electrical-problems.html)

RogG 09-02-2001 09:52 AM

electrical problems

I just bought a 65 and am having electrical problems. The starter switch won't connect so I can't turn it over. The battery seems to be in a constant discharge mode but I have power to the windows, lights, etc.The previous owner may have messed up the wiring and put it in wrong. where can I find a wiring diagram to verify?

phjohnso 09-02-2001 11:15 AM

there are some basic wiring diagrams in your shop manual (if you have one) - other than that complete repro 65 wiring manuals are on ebay all the time - you will find one there. I had a similar problem but mine was traced to the power window relay (under the hood) which replaced with a new one for $49. Sounds like your problem is with the neutral starter relay which needs to be working in order for the car to start properly. Did you try the old trick of lifting up on the shift lever with your left hand as you start the car with your right hand...

Mongoose 09-02-2001 03:16 PM

You mention the old trick of pulling up on the shift lever to start the car. I have to do that to start my '65, but could never figure out why that is. Is there something wrong that I haven't figured out? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by phjohnso:
there are some basic wiring diagrams in your shop manual (if you have one) - other than that complete repro 65 wiring manuals are on ebay all the time - you will find one there. I had a similar problem but mine was traced to the power window relay (under the hood) which replaced with a new one for $49. Sounds like your problem is with the neutral starter relay which needs to be working in order for the car to start properly. Did you try the old trick of lifting up on the shift lever with your left hand as you start the car with your right hand...

RogG 09-02-2001 10:50 PM

Thanks for the info...I will look on e-bay. Interesting you should mention the gear shift trick since I tried that quite by accident and did get a clicking sound and the dash lights came on. Still, I will check the starter relay. Thanks again.
Quote:

Originally posted by phjohnso:

Harley Eaton 10-22-2001 10:12 PM

If lifting the shift lever is required to start your car, it just means that the neutral start switch needs adjustment..

RogG 10-23-2001 10:11 PM

Thanks, Harley. I'm about to get started for the winter so I'll look into this first. I'll post my results when I know what's up. thanks again, everyone.

Dutch 11-02-2001 04:07 PM

Seems like a lot of these old birds have this idiosyncracy. I've had mine for 26 years and I've always had to pull down on the gear selector as I start the car. I've always looked at it as an "anti-theft" device. ;-) If your getting clicking when you turn your key now, then it sounds like you may have a bad starter solenoid. Try jumpering the solenoid with the key on and see if she'll start. Make sure it's in park, ehh? ;-)
Good luck.