Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

New member -unsure of value, 64-66 T-Birds

This is a discussion on New member -unsure of value, 64-66 T-Birds within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hello, new member here. Hoping to get some advice from some of you guys to avoid getting taken advantage of, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 98.247.231.68
Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 AM

PistonPat is on a distinguished road
New member -unsure of value, 64-66 T-Birds

Hello, new member here. Hoping to get some advice from some of you guys to avoid getting taken advantage of, and also avoid spending time on something that's not worth it.

I have come across a number of old thunderbirds, most of them 64-66. I am interest in maybe keeping one of them and then selling or parting the rest. I have no idea what the cars themselves as a complete, or the parts are worth. I have space to part them but also have a couple restoration projects and not a lot of time. I have more cars like this but most of them I need to get rid of.

This one I have in the shop now, I need the engine out of but I don't need anything else. Its been wrecked so most of the body panels are toast... Still a good grill, headlight surround pieces, turn signals, and some odds and ends left. Not sure if any of that is worth taking off?

This one I would like to sell as a whole. Everything is there. Have a title for it, have no idea on value. $3,000? It is a "ran when parked" car but been off the road for over 20 years, stored indoors. Haven't tried to start it or do anything with it other than verify it turns over.

This one I don't have a title for... But it is in good shape sheet metal wise. Some slight surface rust. Not sure if this is a part out or sell type car. Everything is there on this one as well. Could be my keeper since it takes about 3 years to get a title in Wa.

Last edited by PistonPat; 12-11-2015 at 08:45 AM.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 71.80.229.90
Old 12-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Steve Seebart

sseebart is on a distinguished road
Garage
If the front disc brakes on the '66 are in good condition, they are worth keeping and selling. Lots of folks with earlier flairs use them for upgrading drums.

I personally wouldn't pay $3k for the '64. For a car in that condition, the price would be more dependant on rust, not the motor.

~Steve
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 98.247.231.68
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM

PistonPat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseebart View Post
If the front disc brakes on the '66 are in good condition, they are worth keeping and selling. Lots of folks with earlier flairs use them for upgrading drums.

I personally wouldn't pay $3k for the '64. For a car in that condition, the price would be more dependant on rust, not the motor.

~Steve
Thank you for the advice. I took the 9" rear end off and put it up for sale locally at an asking price of $300 expecting to get less.

On the white '64 I had priced that $2,000 locally. I have a whole car collection to clear out... many cars, over 60. So I don't have the time to spend on each one but the 3 or 4 I pulled aside and flushed the gas tanks on all run after being stored for 20+ years.

Reason for posting here and asking for advice is to just get a general idea of value on some of these cars so that the buyer and myself get a fair deal. Due to shows like Fast and Loud and all those other car shows I get a lot of people saying they're interested then they show up and it turns out they just want to wheel and deal. Everyone things showing up offering $500 cash for a car priced at $2,500 or more is acceptable. I have guys asking for 390 engines and offering $500+ for them. But I'd rather see the cars get brought back to life.

I just sold a '68 Cadillac Sedan De Ville out of the collection for $2,000. It was stored over 20 years indoors and inder 80,000 miles on it, running driving car. Seems like a great deal to me!! I'm just trying to find good homes for the cars is all- but also to assess whether or not some of them I should just part out.

Again thank you for the response!

Last edited by PistonPat; 12-12-2015 at 04:25 PM.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 106.69.178.243
Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 PM
stubbie is on a distinguished road
Garage
I would be trying to salvage whatever I could from the wrecks as people are always looking for bits and pieces even the small bits. For instance I'm looking for the plastic plugs from the rear arm rests of a 64 at the moment. They are things that people don't tend to keep when wrecking a car. 65-66 disk brakes and associated parts are good to keep as Steve said. A lot of guys are using them to upgrade to disks from drum brakes. I saw some one recently buy a 64 in about the same condition as yours for $1500. His interior needed some work so I guess depending on rust, mechanical condition and interior $1500+.
Hope this helps

Last edited by stubbie; 12-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 174.45.155.196
Old 12-13-2015, 10:49 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
As said a lot of it depends on rust (and I think salvageble interior parts). From what I have seen (I have looked a bit) I would think about $1500 for the white one would be a good settling price but bear in mind I have not seen the inside. Also bear in mind geographics make a difference as well. Whats worth $1500 in Montana could be 2000 + in California. If you look around enough 7 grand will actually buy you a pretty fair driveable hardtop which I try to use when trying to figure out what a builder is worth. If you piece it out yourself I could for see you getting 3 out of it. Either way I hope it gets a good home. It looks like it has potential.
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 106.69.150.94
Old 12-18-2015, 08:16 PM
stubbie is on a distinguished road
Garage
Hi PistinPat

I sent you a PM about a 66 brakes if you could get back to me that would be great.

Thanks stubbie