Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Pertronixs Ignition

This is a discussion on Pertronixs Ignition within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Using the forum to answer a message I received from Mike about "why use Pertronixs?" being as long winded and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 174.45.155.196
Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Pertronixs Ignition

Using the forum to answer a message I received from Mike about "why use Pertronixs?" being as long winded and opinionated as I am I needed more space to answer. Those who use one please chime in. Here goes....
Best answer. Simplicity. It's cheap but well made. I have never seen one go bad though I do keep a spare in my trunk just in case. They are common so getting one is easy. They are so easy to install that you can put one in in the same time as it would take you to replace your points and condenser. Very clean signal when measured on an ignition scope ( no longer will you have dwell variation which means ignition timing will stay steady as a rock). You can put a little hotter coil in place as the electronics will take more current than points which allows you to gap a higher quality spark plug to .045 instead of .035. This way you can maintain your burn time while firing a higher energy spark (mostly helps in warmup driveability or firing a little leaner mixture). Also by doing this you can just about triple the life of your tune ups (or better) which makes the unit pay for itself in short order. If you have a little shaft wear in the dist they are forgiving on the gap setting. I honestly can not say one bad thing about them.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 64.19.251.196
Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 PM

MWGreen is on a distinguished road
Thank you.

Headache,

Thank you very much for your response to my question. May your Bird float down the highway without incident and only memories.

Respectfully,

Mike