Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

air scoop

This is a discussion on air scoop within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; is there any advantage to removing the cover of hood air scoop on a 65 bird with tri-power. when driving ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 70.192.69.79
Old 07-15-2016, 02:56 PM

vboy24 is on a distinguished road
air scoop

is there any advantage to removing the cover of hood air scoop on a 65 bird with tri-power.
when driving bird engine temp is fine but stop and go around town it raises really quick
I have installed fan shroud water pump,and thermostat
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.194.125
Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
I doubt that will help. Your best bet is to increase the airflow across the radiator itself and/or improve the cooling efficiency. There is room (but not much) for an electric pusher fan in the front. You didn't mention if you have a regular fan or a fan clutch. The clutch setup is better for airflow. Going to an aluminum radiator is another option though beware of cheap ones. They don't fit as well as advertised usually so you are better off with a high dollar one. I repaired an old 56 Chevy for a guy awhile back that he tried everything to get low end cooling with little result (had a 350 chev in it). I ended up going with a smaller water pump pulley which not only sped up the fan but also the pump itself. It worked awesome. On a 90 deg plus day it cooled fantastic. If your setup runs the double offset sheath you would need to find one with the same offset or the belt binds. Another easier option which I had to do when I installed A/C is to go with a 70's harmonic balancer which is slightly bigger and will speed up everything a tad but not as dramatic. If you do this you need to bend the timing pointer up slightly but it will work. Just a few ideas....good luck
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 174.113.130.73
Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
At first glance, it seems simple to open the hood scoop, but would be a lot of work for very little gain. Take a look under the hood and you'll see a wide support brace that would block over half of the opening. In addition, the mounting pins for the scoop itself are pretty well in the middle. It would be a lot of work for a small hole.
HeadacheGuy, as usual, has good suggestions, but first thing I'd do is check the thermostatic fan clutch. These things have a relatively short life (I've read that they lose a couple of hundred rpm a year), and a slow fan will overheat the engine compartment long before it shows up as a cooling problem.
Terry
64HT
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 75.168.174.248
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM
'65 Convertible

Ken in MN is on a distinguished road
Also, if the radiator appears to be original equipment, be sure to have it cleaned out by a radiator shop. That way you'll insure that you have maximum coolant flow through the radiator. Radiators often get plugged up with rust and gunk over the years.