Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Driver's side power window

This is a discussion on Driver's side power window within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; What is causing my window to come down way to fast. It was working properly then it stopped working. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 70.35.177.97
Old 04-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Maxfli is on a distinguished road
Garage
Driver's side power window

What is causing my window to come down way to fast. It was working properly then it stopped working. I took the panel off and could hear a click coming from the motor. I took the motor and window assembly out and after reinstalling it the window is not working properly. It goes down so fast it is uncontrollable. Will hit hard on the bottom and the gears jam and I have to start to take the motor out before it starts to go up and down again. What did I do wrong? I gave up after working on it for over 6 hours got real tired of taking the motor out and trying to get it back in the tracks.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 58.7.101.246
Old 05-01-2018, 07:29 PM
stubbie is on a distinguished road
Garage
Did you put the spring back in the wrong way?
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.194.125
Old 05-06-2018, 10:08 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
I'm with Stubbie on this one. 4 ways to install and only one works. Make sure it is winding tight as it goes down.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 76.88.80.170
Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 PM
ader6 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Not only does the spring need to tighten as the window goes down - it must also have tension in the up position. I had a window that went down ZIP but up real slow. I took out the assembly then operated to motor until it was free of the gear wheel, brought the arm all the way around (tightening the spring) then engaged the gear wheel on the motor gear. Goes up and down real nice now. When putting the motor back in, I put the nylon roller in the track and then operate the switch and adjust the window till they are close then push the window peg into the nylon roller.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 162.199.8.147
Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 PM

rom324 is on a distinguished road
I must be slow. Can you simplify your fix. I know once you've done one it seems easy, but not so for a first time fix i this area. Thanks though, I sorta get it.

J&L Classics
rom324
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 70.35.178.18
Old 12-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Garage
Driver's window stops working when it rains. Until the window motor is taken out it will only make a slight click sound when button to lower is activated. The amp meter jumps but the window does nothing. Each mechanic has claimed to have fixed the problem, none of them have. It will work when leaving the shop but stops if the car gets wet.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.194.125
Old 01-01-2019, 06:22 PM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
What did the mechanics do to solve this? These windows are a ghost of problems and I do this for a living. Voltage tests need to be done right at the window motor. I have a right rear vent window that loves to torture me when it feels like it and I've replaced everything that pertains. All of my windows slow dramatically down in cool weather with the lightest track lubricant I can use.
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 70.35.178.18
Old 01-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Garage
1965 Thunderbird driver's window

Each one has removed the motor and regulator and made adjustments to the track. Once it goes back in both were satisfied they had fixed the problem but neither has. The rubber weather stripping on the door is folded directly above the motor. Each time I unfold it within a day it folds back down. I think that water is dripping down into the motor itself. But cannot understand how taking the motor out of the door has any effect. The last mechanic who worked on the window and top and brake lights said there was a ground wire missing and he replaced it. Once it stops it will not start working again until it comes out because I have had a couple guys tell me that just let it dry out and it should come back. It doesn't. Any ideas?
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 203.59.241.237
Old 01-01-2019, 08:21 PM
stubbie is on a distinguished road
Garage
I dn't know why rain should be affecting the motor they should be sealed against water ingress.
  #10 (permalink)   IP: 70.35.178.18
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
Something is causing the window to stop working each time it is out in the rain. I do not know what is getting wet but something is that stops the window from working. The door doesn't collect water. There is no water in the door each time I take the skin off to try and get the window working. I am going with water being the problem until someone discovers the problem lies elsewhere.