Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

Swing away wheel is too tight to move easily.

This is a discussion on Swing away wheel is too tight to move easily. within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; My 65 swing away wheel is too tight to move easily. is there a way to loosen it up?...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 162.199.8.147
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM

rom324 is on a distinguished road
Swing away wheel is too tight to move easily.

My 65 swing away wheel is too tight to move easily. is there a way to loosen it up?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 174.119.183.68
Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
The mechanism slides along a curved track behind the articulated dash panel the column goes through. If it has been greased in the past, the grease will often harden up and become a sticky goo that sort of grips the column pads.
You need to get in there and clean it.
Hope this non too clear explanation helps

Terry
64HT
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 162.199.8.147
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM

romans324 is on a distinguished road
OK thanks for the input. However, it seems like it’s tight at the bottom of the column where it goes through to the firewall. I have had the mechanism out right behind the dash and that seems to be working smoothly. I am wondering if it is tight at the bottom closer to the firewall. Just a thought. Thanks
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 162.199.8.147
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM

Just found in the shop manual section 3-22 fig 11 that there is an adjustment to loosen the track sliding effort by loosening the two hex head bolts and adjusting them accordingly. Hopefully this will loosen the travel on the swing away column. The book says 10 lbs of pressure required for a factory feel. Should be able to pull and push the wheel over with one hand easily.
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 71.80.229.90
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Steve Seebart

sseebart is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans324 View Post
OK thanks for the input. However, it seems like it’s tight at the bottom of the column where it goes through to the firewall. I have had the mechanism out right behind the dash and that seems to be working smoothly. I am wondering if it is tight at the bottom closer to the firewall. Just a thought. Thanks
Seems unlikely, as there's not a lot down there to impede movement. If the bellows at the floorboard is still intact, make sure it's still nice and flexible. Under the hood, the steering column hinges on the rag joint, which is just a piece of rubber sandwiched between two cast iron tangs. If yours is original, it could have solidified over the years. (Though normally, they get oil soaked and disintegrate.)

~Steve
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 107.77.216.125
Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseebart View Post
Seems unlikely, as there's not a lot down there to impede movement. If the bellows at the floorboard is still intact, make sure it's still nice and flexible. Under the hood, the steering column hinges on the rag joint, which is just a piece of rubber sandwiched between two cast iron tangs. If yours is original, it could have solidified over the years. (Though normally, they get oil soaked and disintegrate.)

~Steve
Thanks Steve. I think you’re right. The problem is in the adjustment right behind the dash. I posted Above what I found In the shop manual. The hex nuts or bolts can be loosened to free up the travel of the swing away. I just put the dash back together, UGH. so now I have to take it apart to get to the hex bolts. Thanks Steve.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 174.119.183.68
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
It is a bit of a pain. The side of the console has to come off to get the lower dash pieces out. Once I'd done that, I could remove the whole mechanism.
Terry
64HT
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 162.199.8.147
Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry64HT View Post
It is a bit of a pain. The side of the console has to come off to get the lower dash pieces out. Once I'd done that, I could remove the whole mechanism.
Terry
64HT
Yes I have taken the dash out a few times now. All I need to do though is get to those two hex bolts. I usually take the front seat out so I can get underneath the dash. Taking out the console driver side is no problem and I think it is the only way I can get to those bolts. Wondering if I can see them with my head at the brake pedal. What we do to restore these cars. Lol, Jim