Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Flair Birds [1964-1966]

Flair Birds [1964-1966] You have a Fourth Generation Bird or just have some questions about them? Then this forum is for you, check it out.

65 feather trim and "C"

This is a discussion on 65 feather trim and "C" within the Flair Birds [1964-1966] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; The chrome on the "C" on the driver side of my 65 bird was peeling, so I ordered a repop ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.186.43
Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Montana Tbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
65 feather trim and "C"

The chrome on the "C" on the driver side of my 65 bird was peeling, so I ordered a repop kit, which came with the feathers as well. After struggling with getting the interior wheelwell panel off - most of the issue was finding all of the fasteners under the excess undercoating done by the previous owner, I was able to remove all of the speed nuts and pull the feathers and C off. The original feathers had been removed in the past, and were put back on with rubber faucet washers on the back side. An interesting technique, which I'll probably use, only with sheet rubber circles cut with a punch. The main question I have concerns the finish on the feathers - the edge of the old ones are shiny, but the horizontal part (perpendicular to the fender) had a argent silver finish on them. The old finish was damaged in areas, so I removed it with solvent and toothpicks. Should I reapply a new coat of spray paint on the sides? The old ones are much superior in fit than the repop, plus are beefier.
Second question - does anyone make a reproduction of rubber gasket that goes on the wheelwell panel? Mine is in fair shape and reusable, but a new one would probably be a good thing.
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 184.4.154.11
Old 01-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Terry64HT is on a distinguished road
Pat Wilson lists front wheelwell splash shield seals and I assume most others do as well.

Hope this helps
Terry
64HT
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.186.43
Old 01-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Montana Tbird is on a distinguished road
Garage
Appreciate the help!

Thanks Terry. What is Pat Wilson's firm? Also, any suggestions as to the feather argent paint on the sides? I suspect that this may have been done by the previous owner and not Ford.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 184.4.154.11
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 AM

Pat Wilson's Thunderbird, he's in New Jersey. Web site is www.wilsontbird.com
I'm sure other vendors sell the same thing. Bird's Nest in Oregon calls them a seal kit for splash shields.
Terry
64HT
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 184.4.154.11
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM

There is a new listing for a couple of used 65 feathers on eBay and the photos seem to show the sides are the matt finish argent while the face is polished, so I suspect the ones you have are correct. Not definitive.
Hope this helps
Terry
64HT