Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Glamour Birds [1967-1969]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Glamour Birds [1967-1969] If you have a T-bird from this generation, talk about it here.

No Brake Lights, signals,or flashers on my '67 Please Help!!!

This is a discussion on No Brake Lights, signals,or flashers on my '67 Please Help!!! within the Glamour Birds [1967-1969] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hi everyone. I'm a new T-Bird owner. (2 days) I have owned Cougars for 20+ years and now have purchased ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 142.161.238.129
Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 PM

BadCat is on a distinguished road
No Brake Lights, signals,or flashers on my '67 Please Help!!!

Hi everyone. I'm a new T-Bird owner. (2 days) I have owned Cougars for 20+ years and now have purchased a Thunderbird. Unfortunately the car I bought has none of what I mentionned in the title working.

I can hear a relay clicking on the drivers side under the hood when I apply the brake but thats it. There is nothing that happens at all when I turn the signals on, and periodically when I push the flasher button I can hear a clicking somewhere that sounds like it's coming from a relay behind the back seat. If I prop a piece of wood on the brake pedal and check all wires in the trunk I have no power there at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone tell me where I should have power (what wire colors) when my lights are on, my brake is applied and when my 4-ways are on.

Thank you
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 142.161.238.129
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 PM

BadCat is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention that the tail lights work fine with the light switch. Although some of them will stay lit when I pull them out of the socket. Would this suggest I have a short somewhere in my brake side of the rear light system? should the not need ground to be lit? Do the not connect to ground when plugged into their sockets? Going to try following power source from the pedal now to see where it stops and if its gounded out some place. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also pics of the wiring systems in the trunk, inside steering wheel and under the hood relating to the tail lights, signals and flashers would be a bonus as well.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 75.39.119.113
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM

unibody62 is on a distinguished road
There should be all the workings in the trunk on the drivers side (behind the panel). There is a small electric motor that operates a cam setup and also a electronic control. Sounds like your motor/cam is working if you are hearing the clicking, so it must be the other part. They have modern replacements available for both, I would recommend using them, because they can be very problematic. The electronic part (if it's like my 69) is just a series of contacts. You might be able to clean up contacts and readjust them the get them to work, but it's kind of trial and error.