Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Glamour Birds [1967-1969]

Glamour Birds [1967-1969] If you have a T-bird from this generation, talk about it here.

get it running

This is a discussion on get it running within the Glamour Birds [1967-1969] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Hey guys, I'm helping my neighbor with a 67 tbird that hasn't been driven in a while. He's in his ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 108.28.133.205
Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM

ehall is on a distinguished road
get it running

Hey guys,

I'm helping my neighbor with a 67 tbird that hasn't been driven in a while. He's in his 80s and lost his wife recently, so this is something to keep his mind and hands busy.

The car is garage-kept and in decent condition but has been neglected and is certainly well-used. The armrest on the drivers door is falling off, and none of the power window controls do anything, but the seats aren't ripped up and the vinyl top is clean, so its in that kind of condition. He got it repainted 7 years ago (he thinks), some of the trim is dinged and some of it has some overspray. He says that is the last time he drove it.

Of course it wouldnt start, but we replaced the battery and the gas and it started alright with a little priming (the old gas was brown like varnish).

Right now it is belching a huge amount of white smoke and runs rough. It is too much smoke for a leak (like after a seafoam treatment), and at this point I am 80% sure that transmission fluid is being sucked through the transmission's vacuum modulator into the intake. I crawled under the car as best I could and found the modulator under the cross-member, but cant quite get to it. I looked around the engine for a long time but cant find where it comes into the intake manifold or carb. Can somebody tell me where this thing is?

Couple of other Qs: I couldn't find an FSM on eBay but did see a Ford-licensed shop manual on CD, anybody know if it's legit and useful? Are the Chilton/Haynes books as bad as usual? Any other good sources of information?

Thanks for any help. Also, thanks to the admin for waiving the member fee. I'm making the owner pay for everything except my time.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 67.226.253.210
Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM

wabigoon is on a distinguished road
Just a note, if the gas is brown like you say, then you should replace the fuel tank, I had the same thing with a 64, it will never go away and cause many problems.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 108.28.133.205
Old 10-24-2013, 04:59 PM

ehall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabigoon View Post
Just a note, if the gas is brown like you say, then you should replace the fuel tank, I had the same thing with a 64, it will never go away and cause many problems.
There was a lot of rust and dirt on the siphon hose so we already talked about that, no decisions on anything yet though.