tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/leaner-meaner-birds-1977-1979/)
-   -   Hello Everybody (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/leaner-meaner-birds-1977-1979/3420-hello-everybody.html)

gtsfirefighter 02-20-2011 11:44 PM

Hello Everybody

My name is Ken and I recently purchased a 1979 T-bird Town Landau. I bought it for two reasons. 1) I've always liked the body style and 2) I'm going to teach my son how to drive with it. I want him to learn in a big car.

It's white with burgundy leather interior that is worn of course. I believe it has just about every option available including a working sunroof. The clock even still works!

I have a few questions that I cannot find answers to in searches.
I'll start with emissions. I'd like to just remove all the emissions equipment. The previous owner has already put a true dual exhaust on minus the cats. Can I safely remove all the hoses and the pump without causing any harm to the engine?

I've been hearing that you can adjust the steering gear in these cars. True? It has significant play in the steering which I'm sure some of it has to do with worn parts. I was just curious if that was true.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in this forum but I do hope that will someone will help. I'm no stranger to forums as I am an active member in Supra forums and Club Lexus. It's nice to hear the rumble of a good ole V8!

Thanks

Tim Cole 02-22-2011 08:00 AM

Play in the steering

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtsfirefighter (Post 11384)
My name is Ken and I recently purchased a 1979 T-bird Town Landau. I bought it for two reasons. 1) I've always liked the body style and 2) I'm going to teach my son how to drive with it. I want him to learn in a big car.

It's white with burgundy leather interior that is worn of course. I believe it has just about every option available including a working sunroof. The clock even still works!

I have a few questions that I cannot find answers to in searches.
I'll start with emissions. I'd like to just remove all the emissions equipment. The previous owner has already put a true dual exhaust on minus the cats. Can I safely remove all the hoses and the pump without causing any harm to the engine?

I've been hearing that you can adjust the steering gear in these cars. True? It has significant play in the steering which I'm sure some of it has to do with worn parts. I was just curious if that was true.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in this forum but I do hope that will someone will help. I'm no stranger to forums as I am an active member in Supra forums and Club Lexus. It's nice to hear the rumble of a good ole V8!

Thanks

Ken: Welcome to the forum.
The play in your steering wheel probably is due to a worn-out rag joint. Take a look at the area just in front of the steering box and you will see a circular bushing. That's the rag joint. Replace that bushing/rag joint and the play in your steering should disappear.
Hope this helps. Tim

gtsfirefighter 02-23-2011 12:10 AM

Hey thanks. It's so happens to be that I found a new bushing in the glove box. I have yet to check it but will do it this weekend.

Tim Cole 02-23-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtsfirefighter (Post 11430)
Hey thanks. It's so happens to be that I found a new bushing in the glove box. I have yet to check it but will do it this weekend.

Ken: Per your other question about removal of smog equipment, I removed the smog pump and belt and the hoses (plugged the holes) on my 1979 T-Bird, 302-2v. I also installed dual exhausts with Flowmasters with H-Pipe and no CATS. No damage to the motor. I've been driving the T-Bird everyday for 10 years here in Florida. Still smoothe as silk.

UI also installed a dual snorkled air cleaner from a Lincoln Mark VII. Brings more air into the carb and thus more fuel efficient, a least a little. Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a pic of the set-up. Tim; tcole1@tampabay.rr.com

gtsfirefighter 03-05-2011 03:08 PM

I've got the turbine wheels that are missing two center caps. I bought one off ebay and I am having trouble figuring out how to make it stay on the rim. What's the secret??

Tim Cole 03-06-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtsfirefighter (Post 11549)
I've got the turbine wheels that are missing two center caps. I bought one off ebay and I am having trouble figuring out how to make it stay on the rim. What's the secret??

Ken: No secrets, but I'll share my experience with these expensive caps:

1. Does the cap you purchased for the trubine wheel has the tabs on it yet? Each cap should have 10 tabs to help secure it to the wheel.
2. The recess/inset (where the tabs fit into) on the turbine wheel must be cleaned of dirt, residue, paint, etc.
3. The cap should pop into the recess-use a rubber hammer to gently get it into position.
4. I use a little 3M glue on the tabs to secure the caps to the wheel. Otherwise they can fall off while cruising down the road. Caps are too pricey to lose 'em that way.
5. Never lost one while using the glue method.

Hope that helps. All the best to you.
Tim, Florida

Adrian 04-02-2018 05:16 AM

STEERING KNOCK
Hi I have just joined the forum as I have bought a 63 Thunderbird which has a harsh knock coming from the steering box area when you move the steering wheel back and forward can someone tell me what this might be and how to rectify it before I start pulling things apart any advise would be appreciated

Thanks Adrian

Yadkin 04-02-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian (Post 15848)
STEERING KNOCK
Hi I have just joined the forum as I have bought a 63 Thunderbird which has a harsh knock coming from the steering box area when you move the steering wheel back and forward can someone tell me what this might be and how to rectify it before I start pulling things apart any advise would be appreciated

Thanks Adrian

Probably worn components in the steering gear. A company called Lares remanufactures steering gears. You send yours in and they rebuild it and send it back. You can do it through RockAuto for $270 plus shipping.