Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] Ford enacts a radical transformation, making the t-bird leaner and meaner, talk about your lean mean bird here.

Courtesy Lights

This is a discussion on Courtesy Lights within the Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Tim, I never received your message on this, so I thought I'd post new thread. I want to add rear ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM
7T9BIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Smile Courtesy Lights

Tim, I never received your message on this, so I thought I'd post new thread.
I want to add rear courtesy lights to my 79, I've got the lights and wire harness that connects to the main harness along the floor. The problem is there's nothing to connect to on the main. Where do I go from here? Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.87.193
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Tim Cole is on a distinguished road
Garage
courtesy lights

Not sure what happened to my previous message on this, but let's give it another shot.

So, you're going to add courtesy lights; nice challenge.

Normally, you could just splice into the main wiring harness that runs along the floor to the rear running lights, making sure you have power and a good ground. But this simple hook-up won't work.

Courtesy lights should only activate/come on when the car doors are opened or when the knob on the headlight switch is turned to the left to activate the cabin lights. So, you are going to have to locate that particular circuit/power source. A schematic sounds like the simplest way to locate that circuit. If my thinking is correct, you'll have to start your wiring hook-up under the dash near the headlight switch. Wish I could be more specific. Keep us informed.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Garage
Ok, I've got a detailed wiring diagram for the entire car, so I should be able to follow...just thought I could connect to the dome light as it functions the same way. Hopefully, this won't be too complicated or someone's going to see a nice set of rear courtesy lights on eBay! Thanks...
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.87.193
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Tim Cole is on a distinguished road
Garage
Hooking up courtesy lights

The hook-up with the dome lights might work--since as you rightly say--they work on the same principle. Remove the headliner to access the harness? Sounds fun!
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM
Garage
Smile Update

Well guys, I've learned something interesting about our cars this weekend. If your car is equipped with the optional light group, which includes the following:
Dual map lights, under dash, engine, trunk, glove box, ashtray lights...your pre wired for rear courtesy lights! The connection is located behind the rear seat in the trunk on the driver' side. You still need the rear light "T" harness and the rear lights, but it's just a matter of plugging into the harness and your done. The optional rear reading lights were included in the "Interior Luxury Pkg." Standard on Town Landau and Heritage. They look a lot better then the standard delete cover, and are just a nice little option. I'll update my garage when I get a chance with a picture or two.