Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979]

Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] Ford enacts a radical transformation, making the t-bird leaner and meaner, talk about your lean mean bird here.

1978 Diamond Jubilee Lighted Vanity Sun Visor

This is a discussion on 1978 Diamond Jubilee Lighted Vanity Sun Visor within the Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Does anyone know the procedure to remove the lighted vanity from the sun visor (have a broken switch) or the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 184.64.230.123
Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 PM

albo123 is on a distinguished road
1978 Diamond Jubilee Lighted Vanity Sun Visor

Does anyone know the procedure to remove the lighted vanity from the sun visor (have a broken switch) or the lighted vanity part number?
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Tim Cole is on a distinguished road
Garage
Just installed visors with vanity lights into my 1979 Bird. Easy task: remove the visor first. Remove the vanity lens with small flat-blade screw driver. You will then see two small screws that need to be removed. After that, the unit will pop out and the rest of the procedure will be self-evident. Best wishes and have fun!
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM
7T9BIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Tim,

Would you elaborate on the procedure to install the vanity lighted mirrors on your T-Bird? I have a passenger side lighted mirror, but not sure of where to connect. Thanks so much!
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 12-01-2015, 05:21 PM

Garage
Vanity Light

Do you have the wiring harness for the vanity light?

If so, remove the entire back seat set-up (top and bottom) as well as the quarter trim panel on the side you want to install the light. Both tasks are easy.

Then remove the small, rectangular-shaped wood-grain insert where the light is supposed to go. Install the vanity light/housing into the opening in the quarter trim panel and run the wire down underneath the panel into the cabin area. If memory serves, there are a couple of screws involved in the installation of the vanity light housing. To do this stage correctly, you'll need to have the quarter trim panel outside of the car. Then, once the light has been attached, re-install the quarter trim panel into the cabin.

The wiring harness will run on the floor of the car with other wires and then plug into a brown, female socket on the driver side of the trunk area, up and behind where the spare tire sits. All T-Birds were supposed to come with this (accessory) female plug. Harness and socket should be a perfect fit. Once plugged in, the light will come on when you open
either door.

Once you see it work, re-install your back seat. Not complicated at all. Hope you can find a set of vanity lights. Looks real classy when done! Have fun!
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 12-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Garage
Vanity Light

Hey:

Please forgive my mistake. You wrote, 'vanity lights' and I read 'opera lights'. Big difference.

If you are looking for the plug-in for the vanity light, the power cord starts in the back by the wiring harness in the trunk and runs above the headliner along the driver door, around the windshield, and should come out in a small hole (in the headliner) by the visor mount itself. The mount provides the ground. Hope that answers your question.
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 24.222.46.114
Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 AM
7T9BIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
Ok, I had the kick panels off trying to figure out where the connection was coming from...lol. Not sure if the T-Bird would have the wire running even if it was not an option, as I don't have a connection at the mount. But good to know it starts from the trunk! BTW, I installed rear courtesy lights last year and your right it was an easy job and they do look pretty good, just wish I had the soft surround molding that finished the look. Thank you!
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 72.185.88.56
Old 12-02-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
wire connection

If you are feeling bold, you could drop the headliner and run a power wire from the rear wiring harness up and around to your visor. But you might want to save that task for the future when other needs require you to drop the headliner. Kill two birds with one stone.