Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979]

Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] Ford enacts a radical transformation, making the t-bird leaner and meaner, talk about your lean mean bird here.

Gas Gauge, Temp Gauge

This is a discussion on Gas Gauge, Temp Gauge within the Leaner and Meaner Birds [1977-1979] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; On my 79 Tbird my gas gauge work sometimes correctly, sometimes not at all, sometimes works but isn't correct. Any ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 74.142.146.66
Old 10-11-2016, 01:12 PM

AdamG is on a distinguished road
Garage
Gas Gauge, Temp Gauge

On my 79 Tbird my gas gauge work sometimes correctly, sometimes not at all, sometimes works but isn't correct. Any ideas. Temp Gauge does not work at all. Any Ideas?

Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 98.127.194.125
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Temp gauge is probably a bad sending unit on the top of the intake manifold (close to where the upper radiator goes or mounted straight out the front above the water pump depending on which engine you have). Should be a single wire connector that just pushes on. Ground the wire and the gauge should peg. If it doesn't, the wire has an open or the gauge is bad. The fuel gauge is also probably its sending unit in the tank depending on how it goes bad. Car is old enough though that the connector and ground wire at the tank need to be checked for corrosion.