Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

Really need some advice

This is a discussion on Really need some advice within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I'm new to the forum. I have a 1967 Tudor coupe with a 390. The car starts, runs beautifully for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 70.251.81.172
Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM

jldees is on a distinguished road
Really need some advice

I'm new to the forum. I have a 1967 Tudor coupe with a 390. The car starts, runs beautifully for about 1-2 minutes, then dies. It will turn over again, but will not run.

So far, the carb has been completely and professionally rebuilt.
The fuel tank was removed, cleaned and sealed, all fuel lines blown out.
New points, plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor.
New fuel pump installed, ...fuel venting does not appear to be a problem. I removed the gas cap when the car first starts and runs, everything seems to be connected properly.
Any suggestions? I'd be really grateful to figure out what is wrong with the car.
It ran (very badly) when I first bought it in May (it had 5 bent pushrods replaced) but it did run and drive.
This is a recent problem since some engine work was done (pushrods replaced and rear brake cylinders rebuilt).
Thanks! Jim Dees Dallas, TX
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Gheez JL, I'm way late on this but I'd sure like to know how it turned out. I have the same model (without the problems) and I'd really like to know how you resolved it? Did they put the correct pushrods in, or are the lifters starting to hold the valves open (my second guess)?

If your still out there somewhere, let me know.

Thanks, Lad
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 70.251.64.33
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 PM

jldees is on a distinguished road
really need advice

Yep, I'm still here. This particular problem was unbelievably simple. One of the rubber fuel lines off the fuel tank developed a kink in it and fuel supply to the carb was not sufficient to keep the car running. I had a friend who has completely restored a 1966 Convertible re-work the carb (he is going to look for OEM equipment since my carb is not original). I still have occasional issues with the fuel delivery, but I think if I can get an original carb on it, most of the problems will be resolved. I still get some valve chatter due to unleaded fuel even when I put lead substitute in the car, but overall the car is running much better.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
In the imortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna; "It's always something, if it's not one thing it's another."

I figured it had to be really simple or over-the-moon unbelievablly strange. I had heard of incorrect push rods being used and causing the lifter to overpump and not relieve holding the valve open but what you described didn't sound like compression loss. Glad you got it figured out and back on the road. I will look for that problem in my travels ahead with my Glamour-gal.

Thanks for the headsup.

Lad