Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

New Guy here.....

This is a discussion on New Guy here..... within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; Hi Guys. My name is Dave and I have recently purchased a 64 Thunderbird. Someone previously removed the drivetrain and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 24.253.24.93
Old 12-07-2010, 07:00 AM

davmoto1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down New Guy here.....

Hi Guys. My name is Dave and I have recently purchased a 64 Thunderbird. Someone previously removed the drivetrain and all I have left is the rear end. I was thinking and researching doing the lincoln mark 8 4.6 swap since I am missing everything but the power steering pump. I have been an auto tech for 20 years and very familiar with fuel injection and the mechanical aspects of the swap, its the fabrication that im not to great at. A previous owner also welded in different mounts and was trying to put in a 351 windsor. Has anyone ever done this swap with a 4.6?? I want to tryto keep the factory column, just wasnt sure if I could fab in the mounts without getting rid of the crossmember and shock towers. Any info would be appreciated, thanks much!!
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Cool Welcome !!!

Hi Dave,

I'm pretty new here too. I have a 67 2-door hard top. I'm not very familar with your variant nor am I hep to 4.6 Ford V-8 as I'm a Euro tech. But, I did grow up with 60's muscle cars.

I put a Ford EEC-IV system complete with aluminium intake, SMFI and 1000 cfm t/b. I got the complete kit from a company I found online called MASS-FLO. I preferred it beacuse I could keep my big block FE 390, get more power and better cold start. You might consider that as an alternative and put a built big block back in your baby. Here is their website.

Mass-Flo EFI, The World's Only True Plug and Play EFI System.

I'll warn you, it's pricey, but if you get what you want (intank fuel pump or rail pump, etc.), I think you'll be happy with it.

Welcome to the forum !!

Lad
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 24.253.24.93
Old 12-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanks, yeah I was thinkin about trying to find another FE to put in it, Im just missing everything, carb, distributor, pulleys, brackets, trans, driveshaft, even the crossmember and radiator. Just think it would nickle and dime me to death. I can buy a 93-97 lincoln Mark 8 for less than a grand and it has the aluminum 4.6 with an auto overdrive that would be nice and I can run that whole harness, fuel injection and computer .I dont know.... Its a big job but I think it would be well worth it. Thanks for the input,It is appreciated!
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 12.191.67.130
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Dave,

Sure would be quite the conversation piece with a modern Lincoln power train in it too. It would definitely be all your bird.

Also; A member named "laffer98" is parting out a 66, he is willing to sell it off whole too. He has a thread called, strangely enough, "66 convertable parting...". You might want to get in touch with him and pick it up as a doner car if the price is right and it's worth it. He says a lot of things are missing but what is there is good.

Good luck on you project and post some pic's of work in progress if you can.

Later,
Lad
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 24.253.24.93
Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Yeah, I definately will. Probobly will post a before pic. I am in the middle of painting the car rite now. I dont have the space to do the swap right at the moment, so I thought id keep myself busy. I definatly want to make it mine, but dont want to chop it up...... will post some pics after I paint it.

Tags
4.6 into a 64 bird