Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

Scary Engine Knock ?

This is a discussion on Scary Engine Knock ? within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; It's Not A Lifter Tap But A Deeper Sound. Been Told Rod Knock. What Can I Do. Should I Have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.17.216.169
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM

62gary is on a distinguished road
Scary Engine Knock ?

It's Not A Lifter Tap But A Deeper Sound. Been Told Rod Knock. What Can I Do. Should I Have To Pull The Motor For A Rebuild Or Find A Used One. $$$$. It's A 62 With A Stock 390ci.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.158.166.10
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
If It Is The Right Rear (use Motor Off Grab Rubber Boot Of Plug And Pull Off That Cylinder) ,re- Start Car.) Method ...is Knock Gone ? Yeah Well If It Is Then That Is The Same Cylinder That Only Doe's It Till Warm Up On My '58 352 Ci Engine. The Re-builder Says Thats The Way They All Sounded But Of Course Im In Tenneesse And So They Talk Different Here When Addressing The Customer At The Local Engine Rebuild Shop. Timing And Pertronix Ignition Unit Got My Knock Down To A Very Little Knocking At Col Start Up ..i Can Live With That As They Are Sure It's Not Rod Slap Etc.fyi.good Luck With Mechanical Expertise In Your Town Too!
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 67.242.95.58
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Dave ESPI is on a distinguished road
Garage
I have a 63 bird that is new to me as of a month ago. I have not driven it anywhere. been working on it in and out of the garage. Today I went to put it away, and I started to hear a light 'knocking" sound that progressively got louder. I shut of engine. I checked my guages, checked for anything visual and oil dipstick said add oil (low). I added 3 quarts of oil and it said full. Restarted engine it was better but still had that noise. I also hhave a coolant leak comming from what I believe to be the trany cooler lines that isn't really that bad, but drips enough to puddle after the engine is running about 15 min. I checked the overflow tank, and it looked empty. Where is the level supposed to be on the coolant? engine didnt say it was hot on the guages as I really didn't run it long enough to cause any issues while we were diagnosing some electrical lighting issues.

It sounds like it is comming from the cylinder up near the oil filter on the driver side, but I will double check tomorrow.

Any ideas?

I really really fear it is a wrist pin or a con rod going bad low end berring... PRAY FOR MEEEEE @ not to be :(

EDIT: Cars suck wayyyyy less.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 67.242.95.58
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Garage
Well I turned it over a few times later last night and perhaps it was just that low on oil that it would knock somehow? cause it seems to be gone now.... ? is this possible?

If I open the overflow tank and the engine is cold, should I see any coolant in there ? or is that just when it is warm and the thermostat opened the radiator to flow?

#5 (permalink)   IP: 76.209.109.46
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

65BLUBIRD is on a distinguished road
Garage
I have a 65 and the manual says 1 inch from the neck on the coolant. Should be there when cold I believe.
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 67.242.95.58
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Garage
Thanks. I went for the maiden run today. it was a brief jaunt around town at low speeds. I still feel a bit of a kick in the gas pedal, but I hope it is just something minor, and I didn't damage the low end with a over heated berring or something.... Time will tell. I added a gallon of coolant, and some ATF, it was OK.