Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

distributors

This is a discussion on distributors within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; Hi again, So what is the big difference between single and dual point dizzy's. Why is a dual point supposed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 73.26.68.32
Old 11-25-2014, 12:39 PM

Rusty1 is on a distinguished road
distributors

Hi again,

So what is the big difference between single and dual point dizzy's. Why is a dual point supposed to be better than single. The power comes from the coil, right?

Thanks again,
Rusty1
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 70.160.79.88
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Hi again 2U2.

Did you win the dizzy?

Generally the idea is to allow for more coil saturation by allowing one set of points to close then the other a little later. The first set then opens and the second set stays closed for a bit longer before opening to allow the coil to build up a higher charge.
At least that is the theory. Some say dual points make a difference some say not. There was even an old trick of turning off one set of points in 3rd and 4th to retard the timing. Ted Eaton mentioned that in a post on another forum. I had never heard of that.
I put a Mallory dual point conversion in my first 56 I had in HS in 1964. I don't know if it made a difference but it was cheap and was the cool thing to do.

Here is a link to an explanation from a MGA (4 cylinder) forum but it touches on some other things also.
Mallory Dual Points distributor, how it works, and Why Dual?

Jim

http://www.squarebirds.org/users/Jim...ite/index.html