Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods

Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods Found a way to add horsepower by tuning a few parts? Have some questions about Tuning your own engine? Well post them here and learn from other members.

57 fuel pump

This is a discussion on 57 fuel pump within the Mechanical and Engine Tuning and Mods forums, part of the Tech Forums category; Just purchased and have discovered a major fueleak at the pump mounted on front of enine (left side). Can this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 75.230.165.6
Old 11-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Fancythis is on a distinguished road
57 fuel pump

Just purchased and have discovered a major fueleak at the pump mounted on front of enine (left side). Can this be a result of prior owner using ethanol gas? What recommendations does the forum members have? The leak is so bad fuel puddles on the floor. I am afraid to even start it due to possible fire. PLEASE help. Thank you.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 98.109.196.180
Old 11-27-2015, 10:04 PM

paul2748 is on a distinguished road
Can you see where the fuel is leaking from. Maybe the fitting for the line into the pump? Or the line going out?? Did you check the flex line - it may have a hole and is running down it to the pump and then to the floor.

If it's leaking from the body of the pump the pump needs to be replaced. Possibly from the ethanol, but I doubt it. I have run ethanol gas for over 6 years in my 56 and haven't had any problems related to the ethanol.

First thing is to locate the source of the leak.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 216.187.168.112
Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 AM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
There is a yes and no to the ethanol thing. Yes it is harder on rubber.It tends to dry it out and promotes faster rubber rot. The catch here is that pretty much all fuel has alcohol in it so it is what it is. The no part is that most quality replacement pumps are made with alcohol resistant diaphrams and reed valves (or so we are told). I still deal with a lot of cars with mechanical pumps and do not see a higher failure rate compared to older times. My personal thoughts are that you need to keep the rubber in motion by simply running it. Think of tires that sit and dry rot in a short time. Tires that are driven last many more years. Replace the pump and keep driving the bird and it will be fine.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 75.230.190.244
Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Question Fuel pump

It appears to be leaking at the diaphragm; almost to the point of "squirting", it was that big of a leak. I have a broken arm, so I'm not able to get real close to the problem. The internet is full of new and/or rebuilt two stage pumps, ranging from $50 to $110. Would it be better to just replace (after checking connections) and going on my way? Thanks
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 74.102.99.192
Old 11-28-2015, 09:55 AM

That is what I suggest. I also suggest you buy it from one of the TBird parts suppliers as they most likely have the ethanol prepped ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancythis View Post
It appears to be leaking at the diaphragm; almost to the point of "squirting", it was that big of a leak. I have a broken arm, so I'm not able to get real close to the problem. The internet is full of new and/or rebuilt two stage pumps, ranging from $50 to $110. Would it be better to just replace (after checking connections) and going on my way? Thanks
  #6 (permalink)   IP: 216.187.168.112
Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 PM

HeadacheGuy is on a distinguished road
Garage
I'm with Paul on this one. Everything I've purchased from the Tbird places has been good quality. I would opt for new however. They are only marketing companies and in my business rebuilt has always been a crap shoot. Compared to new vehicles even $110 is an outstanding price. I guess that's one of the reasons mine is a daily driver. These Birds are pretty cheap to keep on the road.
  #7 (permalink)   IP: 75.227.251.9
Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 AM

Thank you, one and all. New from a "bird house", it is.
  #8 (permalink)   IP: 75.240.196.36
Old 12-05-2015, 03:15 PM

New question. Does anyone have a Tbird parts house they recommend? I have found 2 or 3, but they are not consistent with the part numbers, and I don't want to start off with the wrong part. All I know is it needs to be dual action. Also, is there a published parts list available somewhere? As always, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. Maybe someday I will be a lot smarter about "old birds" than I am now.
  #9 (permalink)   IP: 74.102.99.192
Old 12-05-2015, 11:48 PM

I use CASCO mostly. Good service, restore cars and manufacture parts. Very good tech line. Concours is also very good, as is Tee-Bird parts in PA.

I have used all three and had zero problems with them.