tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   OFF TOPIC Discussion Area (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/off-topic-discussion-area/)
-   -   Parts house do you use (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/off-topic-discussion-area/4042-parts-house-do-you-use.html)

Ken 6645 01-01-2014 04:46 PM

Parts house do you use

I have lot of parts that I'm going to order very soon and need to know which parts houses has the best customer service... The price is important as well the rebuilt parts I receive need to work as needed...The last rebuilt parts I bought was in the mid 80's..As you can see I haven't fooled around with old cars in quite a while...Thanks for your time
Ken

paul2748 01-01-2014 08:47 PM

What year Thunderbird? Can make all the difference on who to recommend.

Ken 6645 01-02-2014 01:19 AM

parts 64 ford thunderbird

sorry ... i need parts for a 64 thunderbird base coupe
A/C -ps/pb/p seats/
thanks
Ken

Gary Tayman 06-23-2014 09:09 PM

Parts sources: Is there a single correct answer? I doubt it.

Familiarize yourself with, and get catelogs from, several parts sources. Mac's has a catalog, so does Larry's and Bird Nest. I've doen business with all three and recommend them. Another is Bob's Bird House, but I'm not sure if he has a catalog -- but I've done business and he's good.

There seems to be three parts categories -- new, repro, and used. Used parts -- some parts are ONLY available used. Certain trim, replacement doors, seats, etc. You can buy used parts from certain parts houses, and you can buy them from someone who happens to be parting out an old car to scrap. Check with Hammings Motor News, or forums such as this one. When someone says he's parting out a car, get in touch.

Repro parts can be scary. Some are well made while others are crap. If you're unsure of a specific part, ask others -- someone else may have had experience with that same part.

New parts may be NOS (in the box, but sitting on the shelf for 50 years), new in terms of Ford still making them, or parts made elsewhere and sold by outlets such as Napa. Most "hard parts", meaning engine, brake, and other parts that make the car go, are available at Napa, or other auto parts stores. These range from good to cheap. Napa is generally reputable; so are many local independent stores. The chain stores such as Advance seem to have improved, but you might still get some cheaper replacement made in China.

About all I can say is, use your discretion. Check with cruiser-friends to see who they use, and what experiences they have had. Then go with someone who has a favorable reputation.

Ken 6645 06-24-2014 10:28 AM

Parts store

Gary thanks for your reply..I have started to order parts from several parts store ..I started with birds nest ..Great to deal with....Macs was also very good to deal with..They had everything needed ...I have tried to order from part houses located on the eastern side of the USA... I don't care for Rock Auto on line ordering but they do carry just about anything a man could need...All in all everything ordered was in stock and shipped in a timely matter..I have no complaints ..they are all pretty good to deal with .....
thanks for taking the time to reply
Ken 6645
ps...Wish Rock auto had a print catalog

65 special bird 08-22-2014 09:47 AM

Ken , rock auto.com has alot of parts for birds. And are alot cheeper. I needed an inner tie rod and most wanted 80 -109 bucks at rock auto it was 40 made by moog. same with regulators they have an assortment to choose from as low as 7.95 for an original looking and 25 bucks for a updated solid state electronic one. as with a catalogue you have to pay shipping but still comes out alot cheeper for most mechanical parts. Have used them a few dozen times. Just check prices first sometimes it's cheeper elsewhere. Macs and thunderbird headquarters are automotive wherhouses and loaded with almost everything for birds sometimes expensive but correct parts.

bromhead 11-08-2017 05:23 PM

casco

Fine service for some years,,recently a problem ordering carpet mats from the catalog,,back ordered for some time,,

stubbie 11-10-2017 06:05 PM

Iv'e used a few and had problems with all of some description. Either wrong part, damaged part, wrong color, parts I didn't order, parts falling apart after a few months. It gets expensive sending parts back and forth to a different country. I'd pick one your happy with and stick with them.