Go Back   tbirdforum.com > General Thunderbird Forums > OFF TOPIC Discussion Area
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OFF TOPIC Discussion Area Talk About Anything But Keep It Clean (IF YOU CAN)

Transmission fittings

This is a discussion on Transmission fittings within the OFF TOPIC Discussion Area forums, part of the General Thunderbird Forums category; Hi , Just wandering if someone can help me a question about the transmission cooler line fittings for a 62 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 49.195.115.245
Old 04-15-2023, 02:20 AM

Bullfrog is on a distinguished road
Transmission fittings

Hi ,
Just wandering if someone can help me a question about the transmission cooler line fittings for a 62 thunderbird it’s an original MX . I am restoring the vehicle and changing the cooler lines from hard lines to hoses . I just would like to know if the adaptor fittings I need are a 5/8 tapered or parallel thread .
Thanks
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 184.189.25.228
Old 04-15-2023, 07:56 AM

tbirdfun is on a distinguished road
For your 1962 Ford Thunderbird with the original MX transmission, the cooler line fittings you're looking for are 5/8-18 inverted flare with a tapered thread. These fittings are designed to provide a reliable seal and are compatible with your transmission cooler lines.

When changing the cooler lines from hard lines to hoses, make sure to use high-quality transmission cooler hoses that can handle the pressure and temperature requirements of your vehicle. Additionally, ensure that the hose clamps are properly tightened to prevent leaks and potential damage to the transmission.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 49.181.221.227
Old 04-15-2023, 04:24 PM

Bullfrog is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that , I will make sure To use the right fittings and hoses . It hard to get any information on these transmissions here in Australia as there was not commonly used .
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 73.159.49.229
Old 05-09-2023, 06:39 AM

EricJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdfun View Post
For your 1962 Ford Thunderbird with the original MX transmission, the cooler line fittings you're looking for are 5/8-18 inverted flare with a tapered thread. These fittings are designed to provide a reliable seal and are compatible with your transmission cooler lines.

When changing the cooler lines from hard lines to hoses, make sure to use high-quality transmission cooler hoses that can handle the pressure and temperature requirements of your vehicle. Additionally, ensure that the hose clamps are properly tightened to prevent leaks and potential damage to the transmission.
the inverted flare fitting is actually a straight thread, the tapered thread is a pipe fitting.