tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Parts For Sale / Wanted (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Want Dail-O-Matic or power seats 57 Tbird (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/parts-sale-wanted/4444-want-dail-o-matic-power-seats-57-tbird.html)

Chrism7722 03-05-2017 05:36 AM

Want Dail-O-Matic or power seats 57 Tbird

Hi,

i'm looking for an Dail-O-Matic or power seat assembly for my 57 TBird.

My email adress is Chrism7722@yahoo.de

Thx
Chris

edmlynek 03-13-2017 08:43 AM

ok.. i have a dail-a-matic in my 55 bird (all 3 years have the same basic seat frame) of course you can 'bolt in' a dail a magic into your 4-way power seat frame.(can't use manual seat frame - not compatible)..so you must have a manual seat...you will have to find a 4-way power seat frame...then buy just the mechanicals and your in...but you will pay $4000+ (as far as i know) for good working complete 1957 dail-a-matic seat..and then you will have the exspence of putting your seat upostery on it (another $300+)...but there other cheaper ways to do this..t-bird Dail-a matic seat came from the mercury '57-'58 TURNPIIKE CRUISER...almost all had them....when the '58 t-bird 'wasn't ready' to sell in sept. '57, (the '58 birds were uni-body and were 'breaking in half' on the bad parts of the test track)..the engineers had to figure out how to make a large, heavy, unibody car-no one had done it..(lincoln was to be unibody too in the brand new wixom plant made just for it. too long to go into here, but the answer was 'torque boxes in certain places and thickness's....anyway, no '58 birds un till jan 20 1958...so ford had to sell '57 birds for a 'extra 3 months.....NOBODY WANTED A '57 BIRD--ALL WERE WAITING FOR THE '58 BIRD..ford had to do something to 'move the cars out of the dealerships.'.. SO, they 'loaded up all the birds from sept to jan with all the options in the book and a couple that weren't..AND THEN DIDN'T CHARGE A ARM AND A LEG FOR THE OPTIONS) THIS 'GOT RID OF' THE EXTRA '57 BIRDS..dail-a-matic was one thing they put in...BUT WAIT! the mercury seat moved about 14 inches back and forth--bird didn't have this much room to do that. (duh)..so they had to MODIFY the seat mtr.s contact asm.s to only go half as far....this was done...so only about (???) a 500 or so '57 dail-a-matic were made..finding one is going to be very expensive. BUT..i found out that if you modified the wire harness on a mercury turnpike dail-a-matic , you could put it in your '57 bird...of course, you won't have 7 back and forth positions..(you will have only 3) but who cares? it works... AND I BOUGHT MY '57 DAIL-A-MATIC FROM A (SORRY) JUNKYARD FOR $125.00 complete with the mercury seat i sold to the mercury club cheap..I have 40+ photos and 50+pages of text to show how i did it--it's not hard to do..anyone could follow my instructions and do it. call me at 1-706-376-7514 and i will tell you more.(IF YOU LIKE-IF NOT, GOOD LUCK) but if you run into problems--call and i will help you best i can..