Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Refinishing / Restoration Tips
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Refinishing / Restoration Tips Restored or Restoring a Part, Share Techniques and Ideas Here

1963 Falling out of park/ other issues

This is a discussion on 1963 Falling out of park/ other issues within the Refinishing / Restoration Tips forums, part of the Tech Forums category; HI everyone, i have recently bought a 63 thunderbird and i am having some problems with it falling out of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 99.174.239.119
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Aames1127 is on a distinguished road
1963 Falling out of park/ other issues

HI everyone, i have recently bought a 63 thunderbird and i am having some problems with it falling out of park, in fact when the steering wheel is set in driving position i have to hold the shifter to stay in park. Also, before sliding the wheel over it will stay in park no problem. Another issue is, when starting the car i have to start it in neutral and i assume these problems are related. I have read various things about getting a new detent plate, upper shaft bearing, upper shaft bushing, and a new shift handle. What im looking for here is someone who can tell me if all these parts are needed or any of them for that matter. and i appreciate all the help, thank you.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 209.240.206.209
Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 PM

t-bird-art is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aames1127 View Post
HI everyone, i have recently bought a 63 thunderbird and i am having some problems with it falling out of park, in fact when the steering wheel is set in driving position i have to hold the shifter to stay in park. Also, before sliding the wheel over it will stay in park no problem. Another issue is, when starting the car i have to start it in neutral and i assume these problems are related. I have read various things about getting a new detent plate, upper shaft bearing, upper shaft bushing, and a new shift handle. What im looking for here is someone who can tell me if all these parts are needed or any of them for that matter. and i appreciate all the help, thank you.
Yes. This is a common problem on 61-66 Thunderbirds. Falling out of park is VERY dangerous for you and particularily mechanics and other pesons who may drive your car and unaware of the problem. As far as I know, two peope have been killed . One person was carried into backyard pool and drowned when car went into pool. 2nd person was crushed by driver's door wedged against garage door opening.
Start with repacing gear shift lever. Bottom of lever wears away inside column causing the problem.

Last edited by t-bird-art; 08-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.74.104.18
Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
Art is sooo right! New gearshift levers are available from the T Bird vendors and not very costly. And very easy to R & R.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 96.236.21.195
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM

timewarp is on a distinguished road
detent and shift arm

I am replacing my detent plate and the shifter arm on a 1961 t-bird, and I am having a heck of a time getting the chrome collar off. Is there somthing that I am forgetting to do? It seems stuck.
Thanks Jack
  #5 (permalink)   IP: 173.74.104.18
Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 PM

Harley Eaton is on a distinguished road
Once you have the turn signal lever and the turn signal switch out, you need to remove two nuts (I think 7/16" hex) and let the bolts drop down into the collar . Then you should be able to pull the chrome piece off.