Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Refinishing / Restoration Tips
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Refinishing / Restoration Tips Restored or Restoring a Part, Share Techniques and Ideas Here

92 Rockerpanel rust repair

This is a discussion on 92 Rockerpanel rust repair within the Refinishing / Restoration Tips forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I moved from the "New Birds" forum to this one because its been a while and no response, so PLEASE ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 208.107.97.163
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM

92Tbird is on a distinguished road
92 Rockerpanel rust repair

I moved from the "New Birds" forum to this one because its been a while and no response, so PLEASE help THANKS

I just got a 92 thunderbird and when I got it I noticed some rust on the top of the rocker panel(where the bottom of the door meets the rockerpanel) Well my t-bird had the plastic trim across the rockers so the first thing I did was pulling the trim to see what I was up against. As It turns out the rockers are pretty mutch gone except for some sections that appear rust free, there was even some rust holes in the verticle panel behind the rocker(aka inter rocker). There had even been some body work done to the lower passenger side quarter panel, right above the rocker. After removing the 1/8" of bondo I noticed the patch was not only welded in poorly, but it too was now rusting out.

I could try to make the replacements myself but I'd rather buy some because I don't have too much experience bending sheel metal. Anybody know where I could find some rocker panels? I like to get them new, but I would probably go with used, but the only salvage yard around where I live doesn't have any tbirds or cougars. THANKS