Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Refinishing / Restoration Tips
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Refinishing / Restoration Tips Restored or Restoring a Part, Share Techniques and Ideas Here

speedo cable?

This is a discussion on speedo cable? within the Refinishing / Restoration Tips forums, part of the Tech Forums category; Im building a 63 bird. I put a 427 with a C6 in her. Ran into many problems with this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 66.173.96.41
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 AM

mazak is on a distinguished road
speedo cable?

Im building a 63 bird. I put a 427 with a C6 in her. Ran into many problems with this build, one being with the new C6 vs the cruiseamatic my speedo cable is about 3" short. Anyone know if they make speedo cable extentions or when did Ford put the C6 into the birds. I thought it was 65 or around there. Wondering if they did , would that cable be longer and fit the 63.

Dan
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.153.174.210
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
J.A.F.T.O.

Firstperson is on a distinguished road
Hi Dan,

I think something has got to work around the 65-66 time frame. If it turns out to be a little longer you can probablly just tuck the excess somewhere. I wonder, do the driven gears from the two transmissions match in teeth or did you have to swap the drivers to get the speedo to read correct?

Lad
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 208.38.87.238
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM

mazak is on a distinguished road
The C6 and CA both take the same gear and bolt in. After getting the car up and driving i figured out why i had so many problems with this project. Custom valvecover hit the brake booster. Transmission crossmember being off about 2 inches. Speedo cable short. Swaybar hitting damper. Custom headers hitting steering gearbox. It was all caused by one thing. I used a truck 390 block because of the increased thickness of the block for boring/stroking for a 434. Well turns out the motor mounts on the truck block are located about 3 inches forward vs the cars 390. So when putting the motor/C6 in the car. everything got moved back 3 inches causing all my problems. Never would have guessed the mounts would have been moved on the truck block. Hope my problems help out others who are thinging of doing this.

Dan

Last edited by mazak; 11-30-2010 at 09:16 PM.