tbirdforum.com

tbirdforum.com (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/)
-   Refinishing / Restoration Tips (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/refinishing-restoration-tips/)
-   -   78 Tbird diamond jubilee with plastic windows (https://www.tbirdforum.com/forums/refinishing-restoration-tips/3681-78-tbird-diamond-jubilee-plastic-windows.html)

AshTray900 03-08-2012 11:50 AM

78 Tbird diamond jubilee with plastic windows

After pulling the vinyl roof off i was suprised to find that the back part of the roof wasnt solid metal, it looks like the triangle windows that the standard thunderbird had on the back sides were just covered with plastic filler windows. they are cracked and ive had to silicone them in several spots just to keep from having to wear my swimming trunks on a rainy day.

i dont have the money to have a new vinyl roof professionally installed and am hoping to make it look decent myself. I cleaned and painted the front portion of the roof black and reinstalled the trim and it looks decent.

I am stuck with these glued up peices of plastic on the sides of the back part of the roof and i dont know what to do about them. is it possible to purchase new window covers? i have googled all over the place with no luck. Any good tips on how to do away with them? I have done a little fiberglass work, but i think patching up these large holes is beyond my ability. Also the plastic parts have the trim holes in them needed to reintall the trim on the back.

I dont really know where to go with it, even if i had the money for a new vinyl roof id hate to install it over those old cracked peices of plastic.

Tim Cole 03-13-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshTray900 (Post 12657)
After pulling the vinyl roof off i was suprised to find that the back part of the roof wasnt solid metal, it looks like the triangle windows that the standard thunderbird had on the back sides were just covered with plastic filler windows. they are cracked and ive had to silicone them in several spots just to keep from having to wear my swimming trunks on a rainy day.

i dont have the money to have a new vinyl roof professionally installed and am hoping to make it look decent myself. I cleaned and painted the front portion of the roof black and reinstalled the trim and it looks decent.

I am stuck with these glued up peices of plastic on the sides of the back part of the roof and i dont know what to do about them. is it possible to purchase new window covers? i have googled all over the place with no luck. Any good tips on how to do away with them? I have done a little fiberglass work, but i think patching up these large holes is beyond my ability. Also the plastic parts have the trim holes in them needed to reintall the trim on the back.

I dont really know where to go with it, even if i had the money for a new vinyl roof id hate to install it over those old cracked peices of plastic.

Why don't you post picture which shows the problems you are dealing with. I might be able to provide some counself on what to do next. But I need a better idea of what you are talking about. Tim, onwer of 1979 Bird