Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Tech Forums > Refinishing / Restoration Tips

Refinishing / Restoration Tips Restored or Restoring a Part, Share Techniques and Ideas Here

Brightwork trim clips

This is a discussion on Brightwork trim clips within the Refinishing / Restoration Tips forums, part of the Tech Forums category; I finally got around to having my surface rust taken care of this summer. After 27 years of owning this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 75.39.117.72
Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM

unibody62 is on a distinguished road
Brightwork trim clips

I finally got around to having my surface rust taken care of this summer. After 27 years of owning this car, it was time to address this rust that has been on the car since purchased. It was just by all the lower rocker trim, even back on the lower quarter panels. I removed all the trim and was very gentle with the clips, but even so, many could not be saved. It all went well until I got ready to put the trim back on. Every supply shop has clips, right? No, no no! Long story short, could not find the rocker clips, or the clips for the lower quarter trim anywhere. The quarter ones are very specific, as they need to slide on the mounting stud. I did find some on eBay that looked right and were described as being close to the length I need. On arrival, they were not log enough. I decided to add to the length by taking two clips to make one and just in welded it together. I’m not a welder, so it didn’t go as well as I hoped, but it the end, I think they will work ok. After welding and grinding, I coated them with epoxy glue and then painted with rust inhibitive paint sharing a few pictures later, just to pass along what I did. The rocker panel clips are yet to be addressed.

Last edited by unibody62; 09-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 75.39.117.72
Old 09-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Now that I have more time, I can try to get the pictures on.
The 3 pictures in the Flickr album, old style clip, old clip compared to purchased clips, and one of all together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unibod...57710854543548
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 75.39.117.72
Old 09-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Since I what I own is a Glamour Bird, I was thinking I should have posted there. Clips are clips, so everyone may be interested anyways.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 75.39.117.72
Old 09-20-2019, 08:55 PM

As far as the rocker molding clips, on a return trip to the auto body supply, they had recently got in some plastic clips that really seemed like they would take the place of what was originally on the car. They needed to be trimmed a little bit here and there, but they worked out very nicely. I couldn’t find anything locally or online that I thought would do the job, so I was really happy to score these. I can’t seem to upload the pictures from my iPad, so I’ll put them on my Flickr and post a link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/unibod...57710854543548