Go Back   tbirdforum.com > Thunderbird Model Years > Square Birds [1958-1960]
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Square Birds [1958-1960] Have a Square Bird that you want to showoff or just want to learn more about? Then you've come to the right place.

This is a discussion on Newbie within the Square Birds [1958-1960] forums, part of the Thunderbird Model Years category; Just purchased a 1960 Thunderbird hardtop. I've restored a mustang and a 1956 Ford panel truck but always wanted a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)   IP: 173.61.242.19
Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 AM

Mark57 is on a distinguished road

Just purchased a 1960 Thunderbird hardtop. I've restored a mustang and a 1956 Ford panel truck but always wanted a TBird. Rest assured I'll have lots of questions.
  #2 (permalink)   IP: 24.158.166.206
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 AM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
Have answers.(FREE!) restored 3 rd. bird. have contacts !!

I have been down the restoration road with thunderbirds...plenty of suggestions via phone or thru this e mail process.so others can "get it" done right and quicker .fyi ready when you are.
  #3 (permalink)   IP: 173.61.213.73
Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 AM

Mark57 is on a distinguished road
Hey thanks for the support. This is my 3rd restoration but 1st T-Bird. Have purchased shop manual and any materials that will give me an idea of how to proceed. Also thinking of upgrading to disc brakes as I plan to drive her on nice days.
  #4 (permalink)   IP: 24.158.166.206
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM

RobertZpianoman is on a distinguished road
Garage
mark57 back from vacation/pianoman

panama city ,florida for 63 rd birthday present from wonderful wife...then quit sears maint. dept. and first retirement check coming november!! these are why it has been a while since my response back to your t bird restore efforts would have been emailed to you sooner.

Like other forum members we all have phone contact numbers of special suppliers in the u.s. and are eager to get them to you...first like the doctors ask..what's broken?

get your rear end bushings put in for your safety on response time when dodging deer on the hi ways (as we do here in tenn.), available at 1 800 621 2005 RARE PARTS .COM $749.00 for the kit # RP 18109 for the '58 bird and local alignment shop put them in for $236.00 viewing website is
http//www.oldcarmanualproject.com/pix/Ford/pages/fordpts2s_jpg.htm
don"t forget the capitol "F" after shown / "pix"/ .

the tech on the phone will give you numbers ,write them down...get the right year to that phone parts tech. as ROBERT here, don"t know if '58 is same as '60 years type

and hey, instead of that old generator /regulator 30 amp system you have ..did you know at the local motor winder shop in your town you can get the

GM10Si alternator that fits your car with the adaptor elongated bracket and the engine to alternator "u" bracket included with the kit?

when alternator is in your car simply cap the o e m wires away from the regulator and cap the o e m wires from your generator and put a store bought #04 gauge red with 5/16 ends assembled to it large wire from alternator to + terminal at the starter solenoid post...( done) ,then twist the 2 each wires from the trigger diode( at the alternator TWO PIN jack) together and butt splice those 2 wires (which are colored white and the other red ) to a single automotive grade #12 wire , then take that wire to the ignition switch only wire (on the 12.34 volt reading side of the firewall ballast wire) find left of brake reservoir area...not the 9.62 volt coil wire
so that (once the key is on and the motor gets reving up to 560 rpm idle speed ), the alternator will put current to battery instantly instead of waiting for 1000rpm to excite the diode in the alternator.

the disc brake deal on your year bird is a good idea as the car is heavy and you will find ford granada spindles work good there. don't get taken like my dad was with a kit that required many slave labor to do instructions on the ('65 mustang for mom's surprise retrofit...) consumer end of purchase. most honest dealers will get you the "bolt on kit" with out having to return a lot of shipping back " kits "to seller.I WILL RETURN CORRESPONDENCE THRU THIS CLEVER SITE NOW THAT I AM RETIRED!!!!